Disappointing trip to Montreal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Haze, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ed Haze

Ed Haze Agent

Well, after perusing many threads about buying Paradigm and PSB in Canada I made the 2 hour trip up to Montreal to investigate. Here is what I learned quickly upon arrival. First, most of the shops are too small to carry any decent inventory, so don't expect ANY shops to have the Studio Wood Veneers in stock. Not too much of a problem b/c I only have a 2 hour trip. Second, maybe my haggling skills are not up to par, but I could not get many of them to budge more than 10 or 15% off list prices. Stereo Plus was the only place willing to bargain, but I don't know if I should pull the trigger on the deal I was offered or keep trying. Here is the lowdown:
    Studio 40s - Rosewood Veneer --> List $1600
    Studio CC - List $600
    The final deal I was offered was for $1700(in Canadian $ and before taxes). Total price to me = about $1400 US --> $1956 CA after taxes with about $100 of duty refunded upon returning to the states. He also said he would give me Atlantis Stands(which he recommended) at cost.
    All in all, not a bad deal, but should I be make another attempt? St. Hubert Radio would not budge much, and I did not have time to go to Codell Audio. Also, is there a better place for PSBs other than Audiotronic or the Sony Store? Neither of which kept stock of the Stratus Bronze or the Stratus CC, and did not seem too eager to make the sale. I am a little discouraged, and may opt for the Rockets 550 and RSC100 for a slightly lower cost. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i can't speak for eastern canada, but out west it's near impossible to budge a sony store even close to a bargain. that's one reason i never go in there. as far as 'negotiating' with the rest, it usually depends on the place. when i moved to alberta in 1972 from n.y.c. i was shocked at the lack of haggling that went on here.there was none. thank god for immigrant store owners and their comfort & familiarity with the fine art of giving a deal for the getting of the sale.

3. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

That sounds like a high price, to me! Here in Ottawa 2 hours from Montreal, there are 4 stores that carry paradigm, I think only 3 carry the Studio series. Anyway, long story short, I picked up 4 Studio 40's and a CC for $2000 Taxes in, so about $1700 before tax for all 5 speakers!

Now I didn't get veneer but was told that would be about 30% more, way below your quoted price. My dealer also had all my speakers in stock and I took them home right away, I don't know if they had venner, that's tricky because you never know, but black is pretty common sell.

I didn't get stands, but cost on stands sounds like a good deal. Hey if it's better than the deal you can get in the US than it's worth it, but I wouldn't spend the 2 hour trip and hassels just to save a hundred or so, if it's like $500 difference well then it's a no brainer ... right?

4. Ed Haze

Ed Haze Agent

Being I have a short drive up there, I'm thinking I might give it another shot. There were 3 other Dime Dealers including Codell Audio listed on their website in the Montreal which I could try. Now that I have that quote from Stereo Plus, maybe I could use that as leverage to get the other vender to flex a little bit. After what I had read on this forum, I was hoping for around $1600 CA after tax. Too lofty of expectations?

5. John*paulJ

John*paulJ Extra

How much do those Stands for the 40's go for?

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Ed:

I highly recommend Codell Audio. I stopped by there last year while on family vacation and met the owner, Izzie. He offered me a great deal to purchase a Rotel RSP-976 as a demo, but I chickened out because of the logistics of getting it back to the U.S. (we flew to Montreal). Friendly and knowledgeable people at Codell, and decent viewing rooms and on-hand stock.

7. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Try Roch Dumouchel in Huntingdon (south of Montréal). I've tried to bargain my Paradigms all across Montréal, and the best price was in my own backyard. You won't believe his price. E-Mail me if you want the phone number.