What's new

Disappointing picture quality on "Grease" DVD... (1 Viewer)

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Could the older rumers be true that this movie was manufactured some years ago and stuck in storage until the legal problems were solved?

Given that, I can easily understand the quality differences between compression tools and techniques then and now.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Tony, I think that is was transfered a few years ago and shelved until they could gain the rights to that hokey VH-1 "documentary". Grim.
Now... what about the Saturday Night Fever DVD? They'd better not have fudged that one too.
Paramount are a weird freakin' company at times.
Gordy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
pissed pissed pissed.
I've been spending much time at my friend's house watching DVDs on his Sony 10 HT projector....while I save for my own 16x9 DLP...and I can tell you that these sub-standard transfers (even 16x9 ones) are a real shame. Filtered detail and edge enhancement RUIN a film on the big-screen. Such a shame when the DVD format can really deliver a blow-you-away film-like experience on the big screen if mastered properly.
With all this time we've waited it's really a shame.
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Quite honestly, the film was never a first class photographic excersise. It was uneven in lighting, focusing and those damn obliterated Coke signs (where the opitcal cover-up jittered) were very annoying. The current DVD were not sitting in a warehouse, they just - as DVDFile suggested, used the 1998 master. Poo on Paramount! :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Re: Peter Kline
"Quite honestly, the film was never a first class photographic excersise."
Yeah, I know what you mean. But, as I said; I'm not a big fan of the movie. I'm much more concerned with the one where Travolta sells paint for a living. :) That movie is one of cinema's greatest 'time-capsules', says I.
It's just as well that it will be Lucasfilm/THX that are handling the transfers of The Indiana Jones Trilogy on DVD, as I'm sure that Paramount would make a pig's ear of those visually complex shows.
Cheers, Pete.
Gordy

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I'm on the fence now about grease I really don't want to pay for a substandard transfer. I'm actually kinda hoping this was because of sitting in storage for 2 years. Because Paramount is doing the transfers for Sat Nite Fever, Flashdance and Footloose and I fear for those.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
What concerns me more is that DVD File indicates a 4:3 version is also available. Up until now (to the best of my knowledge) Paramount has stuck to its guns on OAR only. Frightening.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Whoa! Lots of cheesy masterpices are being mentioned today are they not?!
I demand a 3 disc set of Xanadu. The first DTS 7.1 movie DVD! :D
Gordy

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Jay, when Paramount first announced the Grease DVD release info, they announced separate widescreen/4x3 releases, which according to information posted by Ron a few weeks back should become more frequent in the near future.

As long as they continue to release all their discs in at least their OAR, it's fine with me.

Dan Galyen

Agent
I bought the anniversary edition of the THX VHS tape (widescreen) a few years ago (probably 1998) and had only watched it once or twice.

When I put it through the projector test, I thought the picture was immaculate. I've noticed lately that the THX VHS tapes perform real well on my system (Sharpvision XV-H37VUA) such as Volcano (to name a few). The interviews are the same on the DVD (from what I see on Ron's review) that I have on the tape.

I think I'll let my fiance' buy that one if she wants and I'll pass.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Tony, I think that is was transfered a few years ago and shelved until they could gain the rights to that hokey VH-1 "documentary". Grim.

Now... what about the Saturday Night Fever DVD? They'd better not have fudged that one too.

Paramount are a weird freakin' company at times.
Grease does not have any VH-1 added-value, the Grease DVDs only have the retrospective interview featurette and theatrical trailer from the 20th anniversary VHS & LD releases. This featurette was created by Paramount Home Entertainment. Oddly, the VHS tape includes the shooting script and lyrics to the songs...the DVD only has the lyrics.

Saturday Night Fever has the VH-1 "Behind The Music" special...although this is an abriged version. It also sports the alternate scenes used for the television broadcast.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I tried out my copy of Grease today, and I found the picture quality to be disappointing, looking grainy and faded.

RD

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Haven't you seen Paramount's ads on TV for Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Footloose, Flashdance, and Urban Cowboy? They don't even mention that widescreen versions exist. I expect Paramount to be the first big studio to abandon widescreen discs all together.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Saturday Night Fever, Footloose, Flashdance, and Urban Cowboy are only available in widescreen and enhanced for 16:9.

Grease is available in both 16:9 widescreen & 4:3 pan & scan.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I also had Grease on yesterday and thought the film didn't looks its best. The songs are still great and the energy of the film is infectious but the quality of the transfer seems poor.

And this is on a 27" JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks