Disappointing "Mono" Whorehouse DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Universal has released a basically bare bones DVD of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" The back cover states the film is in Dolby Surround but there is no option for sound anywhere on the DVD and the soundtrack sounds almost "Mono".

*UPDATED* Yes, the DVD is in stereo, though the separation isn't very wide, unlike the CD recording.

The original film opened in New York with 4 Track Mag prints. Since this is a Dolly Parton film/and a musical it would seem natural to release a true stereo print. (Especially since the song "I Will ALways Love You" has been a hit for over three decades by Both Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston)

The trailer is the same as on the Laserdisc and the outtakes amount to 2 minutes of flubbed lines. The featurette is interesting though very brief and includes interviews from the real life Madam, Sheiff and TV Reporter.

On the plus side: The widescreen image is spotless and colorful (though a little on the soft side) And the sound in clean. Also the retail price isn't very high.

Over 30 minutes of film were cut from the Director's print including two musical numbers by Dolly Parton ( "A Gamble Either Way", and "Stallions Ways" both of which appeared on Parton's "Burlap and Stain" LP) and a whole subplot involving the hiring of a "shy" girl (Andrea Pike) who grows into a woman during the course of the film. Also smaller roles from the Broadway show were cut, included the abbreviated role of "Angel" (Played by Valerie Leigh Bilxer) the whore who wants to see her little boy for Christmas, and other scenes invloving Dolly and the whorehouse girls.

Longer cuts of the big musical numbers also exit ("The Aggie Song", "20 Fans" and "Little Bitty Pisant Country Place") All of these would make for a pretty good special edition. (I've seen the cut footage to "The Aggie Song" and there was much more dancing)

Now that "CHICAGO" is pulling audiences into musicals one would think Universal would have done more.

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Wow. If that's true then that's pretty awful. The least they could do is put the musical numbers in stereo. I mean, they're in stereo on the original movie soundtrack recording (which I owned many years ago). "The Sidestep" in mono?!?! Lame!!

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

The DVD sure played in DD 2.1 last night on my system via Dolby Pro-Logic II.

Not sure what your issue is....

Ted

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Somebody call Marvin Zindler! [​IMG]

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Rich, good post! I often wonder how many people connect him with the story.
    I grew up in Houston, watching him do the consumer advocate reports and the health dept. scores for restaraunts. "...and there was SLIME in the ICE MACHINE!"
    I'll never forget his white evanglist-style hair and sunglasses, and his famous closing tag: "MAR-vin ZIND-ler. EEEEEEYE-Witness News!" [​IMG]
    Back to the topic of the DVD: Wow. I was thinking this was overpriced to begin with. No sale for me here. I'll get it in a bargin bin later on, or else wait for an SE release. This is not a good price/performance ratio here!

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Ted,

I read the DvD would be stereo, the sound wasn't in true stereo, was it?

8. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Dolby Pro-Logic matrixed 4 channels (LCR S) from two channels. Sure meets the industry definition of Dolby Surround. There is no mono track on the DVD.

Ted

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

This title has sort of a strange history- supposedly the VHS tapes were always in stereo (they at least had that big "STEREO" indication on the cover) but the laserdisc and later CED releases were in mono. Supposedly the reason was that the track they used was pretty bad with next to no separation, so they thought it'd be better off in mono anyway. There was a letterbox LD reissue not too long ago that was also mono for the same reason.

10. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Jesse the separation on the VHS tapes was next to none, I'm guessing many prints were sent to theaters in mono, but the Original New York opening at the Rivoli was in 4 track mag stereo, and quite loud in fact. I would think Universal could go back to the original mix and use it for the DVD. Plus I'd like to have the deleted scenes which make the film closer in story and tone to the Broadway version.

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

If Universal screwed this up, what will happen to their upcoming musicals of sweet Charity and Throoughly MOdern Millie - both in stereo, widescreen and both should have many extras.
    Along with their screwups frmaing the Back to the Future series and the packaging of ET (One was never sure WHAT one was getting in what package) I have very little confidence in Universal Home Vid.
    for Whorehouse, they could at least loop in the stereo musical numbers fro the stereo prerecording sessions. Too Bad the cut numbers are not there.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Now that you mention it, Universal has usually used the discrete magnetic soundtracks for movies that were released with them (one notable exception being Scarface, which was one of the last movies released in 35mm mag). Don't know what happened here (at least they didn't put it out in pan and scan! [​IMG] )

13. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Hasn't anybody read my post? This DVD IS Dolby Stereo Surround. It is NOT mono. (sorry for the shout)

The 4 track discrete master was probably Dolby Stereo encoded sometime in the past, and that is what is used for this DVD.

The sound stage is nicely spread across the front three speakers with mostly ambience in the surrounds.

Ted

14. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I had previously purchased the R-4 version of Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. I just checked the cover of that version and it is in DD - Mono. But, I checked my laserdisc copy of the movie and it lists the audio as digital stereo surround. On the basis that the R-1 version of the dvd is in DD Stereo Surround, I guess I will order that version now, as the music in that title is great.

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

David, I also spent a few years in Houston, and very much remember Marvin. The hair, the blue-hued glasses, the chin implant... and to think people consider Andy Rooney a tad off his rocker!
    "SLIME in the ICE MACHINE!!!" [​IMG]

16. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Heh, I must say I'm surprised there are more than five people willing to pay money for this horrendous waste of celluloid. I know I'm thread crapping, but I think Universal is doing more than they should with the film.

17. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well Jussi, at least you KNOW you were thread-crapping. [​IMG]
    Personally, I'd enjoy seeing this flick again. [​IMG]
    Wish Uni had put a little more effort into it... but I can't say I'm overly shocked. Not sure how popular this title is...

18. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

To each his own, Jussi. In my opinion it's a fun movie.

19. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Actually, while the original theatrical release had some 4-track mag-optical prints made, there was nothing recorded on the 4th (narrow) surround track. This was strictly a 3-track (L, C, R) stage mix, not uncommon in the era of 4-track mag releases.