Disappointing Disney News

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GeoffBr, Jan 18, 2004.

1. GeoffBr

GeoffBr Agent

Ultimatedisney.com posts the disappointing news that Disney will from this point forward use early sales figures to gauge whether or not to continue full- or wide-screen editions of its live action films. After a few months, one of the editions will be discontinued. The Santa Clause 2 is cited as one widescreen release slated to be discontinued in the immediate future.

This is bad news, not least because dual releases seemed like the best way to please both OAR advocates and those who prefer to avoid black bars, no matter what. Not to mention the fact that preliminary sales numbers seem to be a poor way to judge overall demand -- if I recall correctly, there have been several releases which started out with strong numbers from one version or the other, only to fall roughly even as time went on.

(In other news, it appears that Pocohontas and Lilo and Stitch Masterpiece Editions have been pushed back to 2005 to coincide with Lilo and Stich 2 -- a decision that I understand even less.)

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This is an unfortuneate consequence from all the P & S VHS owners finally bought a DVD player. I hope the studios won't turn their backs on the people who were the early DVD owners.

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

That is a damn shame. Of course the full screen versions are going to sell better when you have Wal-Mart pushing them.

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Oh well, this means buy the OAR versions of popular Disney movies, wait a year or two, and sell them for a handsome profit.

5. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

This is what happens when DVD players drop from $800.00 to $50.00

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I hate stupid people.
    I hate people who like Budweiser
    I hate Wal-Mart, they are the most evil of corperations
    I hate fool screen, pan and scam.

And I hate stupid idiotis companies that pander to such morons.

7. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] @ Disney IDIOTS!!!!!!!

Nick that ain't a bad idea, I might start doing that for some extra cash [​IMG]

8. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Definitely disappointing news from Disney and did I mention boneheaded to boot?

It is the rare live action title I buy from Disney but to further the cause or to do like Nick said and make a few bucks down the line I may have to start buying more.

9. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

The whole problem with this scheme is the skewed data to begin with. SO many stores with idiotic management think that they know better than consumers, and decide for them which version they will have access too.

My local blockbuster, as of late, stock mostly widescreen titiels. UNLESS they are so called family films. So while most of the new releases on the wall are widescreen, family films, Santa Claus 2 among them, are available only in Fool screen at blockbuster. Ditto for non disney Bruce Almighty.

But it's not as if I really expected much else. I haven't bought Roger Rabbit because I am irritated to no end that the "family friendly" fool screen version is given top billing on disc one, with the widescreen version on disc two. That's just wrong.

10. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

It's also disappointing that Mary Poppins has been pushed back to December, according to the same source.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Go ahead. I wonder how Disney will like having millions of their customers suddenly vanish into thin air.

12. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

In a way I hope Disney comes crumbling to the ground rather soon, if only to get Eisner out of the seat he should have vacated long ago for the company's sake.

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Roy was right. This company no longer understands their customers. Walt used to set the bar and hope people would follow. The difference? He was giving to the people, not taking away. This is an idiotic strategy.

14. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

misguided decision #2,475

if disney want to pi$$ away their revenue, that's fine with me, i don't care, but sadly it's the customers that have to suffer with a more limited choice of product.

and i thought more and more widescreen sets were coming into US homes, so what's going on ??? or is this just another excuse to reuse their old ld/vhs masters ?

15. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

News like this really needs attribution, especially since there is no announcement about it on Buena Vista Home Entertainment's press site.

Who or what is the source for this information, Luke?

16. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I hope Pixar leave disney. Is there a place I can view WS vs FS sales on DVDs?

17. wally

wally Second Unit

Whatever...

18. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

So basically this means that people who want widescreen are going to have to buy the title in the first few months after its release. It sounds like Disney is once again attempting to create fake demand for their titles with some lame "limited availabilty" marketing.

Screw that.

19. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob

[​IMG]

20. WillG

WillG Producer

Well, I have been reporting WS vs MAR sales on this forum for Months and WS usually always sells better and remains on charts longer that MAR. Even the Santa Clause 2. But if this is the case from Disney, I feel dirty for having praised them lately. First CTHE then MGM. I fear that DVD is slowing becoming the new VHS. IDIOTS!

HOW MUCH MORE BAD NEWS CAN WE GET!!!!???