Disappearing heritage: Anyone remember Garbage Gobblers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Ulmer, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

[​IMG]
    As a kid, we used to see these all over the B.C. Interior, but now they are all gone. While not as sensible as modern bear proof cans, these were a novel way to get kids interested in properly disposing of trash. Does anyone remeber these?

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I remember being in Germany 30 or so years ago, and an anti-litter campaign "Nicht sein ein schmutzfink" or something like that. Literally, "don't be a dirty bird"

With the liberation of the world, its probably as dirty there now as our typical Canadian cities. Even the rural bi-ways of Nova Scotia are littered with Tim Horton's coffee cups, etc.

Progress seems more like regress.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Do those things fly through the air and yell "Gar-doz"? [​IMG]

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

[​IMG]
    Um, no! They used to line out highways, and each one was different. Sadly, they have all but disappeared, just like the point of interest signs that also used to be found throughout the province.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jeff, I was also just wanting to check in with you. Dennis beat me to it! And now I think I understand you better [​IMG]
    "I know more than you think."

6. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Never seen one of those, but in Spokane Washington there is a bronze sculpture of a goat that eats trash. It's hooked up to a vacuum, so when you put your trash up to it's open mouth it sucks it in and out it's butt to a compactor hidden behind. Now that's quality entertainment!

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    A lot of these cultural relics are disappearing. Around here we had fast food joints shaped like an orange, or sporting those giant "doggie diner" Dachshund heads. Not much whimsey left in the world I'm afraid....

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Anybody remember the garbage cans around the interstates (I think in Canada) that try to promote you to toss your garbage into them from the window? I forget what they called them but they had a big mouth on it and they would be placed along the roads so that you could actually kind of toss garbage in them without slowing down too much..

Jay

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    [​IMG]
    We have the same problem around here. My quiet rural Santa Clara county, home to my family since the 1800s, is now a crushing urban area of over 2 million.

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

One trend I find disturbing is old, character neighborhoods being torn down and replaced with generic boxes. We have an area where I grew up which used to have elaborate tudor style houses everywhere. Now, they are coming down and being replaced by monoliths with no asthetic value whatsoever.
    The vanishing BC site where I borrowed the garbage gobbler from (http://www.michaelkluckner.com) lists a number of B.C. landmarks which are disappearing or have disappeared.
    Back to the garbage, does anyone remember the TV ads with the crying indian? That was another effective "keep it clean" promotion.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor