Disappearing Blue on DVD!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarkMac, Dec 10, 2003.

1. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Help! I think I have a problem with my DVD player.

I've run into a problem the last couple nights while my son was watching DVDs. During Finding Nemo and Ice Age, midway through the movie, it seems the blue has been washed out.

When I stopped the movie, it was very noticeable on the mostly blue banner "DVD Audio/Video" screen. I checked the component cables, and they were not loose.

If I switch off the DVD player, and then turn it back on, the problem corrects itself for awhile, but sooner or later it happens again.

Has anyone run into this problem?

The DVD player is a Panasonic RP82. My TV is a Mitsu WS65411.

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I would suspect that there is a problem from the blue component input to the TV. Even if the cables don't seem to be the problem, it could still be something in the cable itself. Trying different cables would tell if that's the issue. If it's not the cables, it could be at the connectors themselves either at the TV or DVD side. To try to isolate it, you could try some other input device such as another DVD player or some other device with component output. If the problem goes away, then it is TV. If it doesn't it's the DVD player. It may be a simple matter of resoldering a connection. I actually had a similar problem with the sound intermittently getting very soft on one channel from a VCR. Once the RCA connector inside the VCR was resoldered, the problem was fixed. It was a simple repair.

SMK

3. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

I'll try switching some cables around to see if I get anywhere.

It just seems like it has to be the DVD player since when the problem occurs, I power down the player, power it back up, and the problem is gone...(until it happens again)