disabling SVM on RCA HDTV's???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

Apr 22, 1999
    while info on disabling SVM on Toshibas and Sonys can be found pretty easily, i'm getting an RCA F38310 tomorrow and would like to know how hard it is to disable the SVM in the set. Has anyone here been able to figure out how to do it?
    luckily the SVM isn't too bad on the set to begin with. Someone told me to turn the sharpness down to 0 on this tv but that doesn't sound right. If that IS the solution, though, I'll try it [​IMG]
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen
    Yes Sharpness to "0" turns the SVM off ... but usually makes the picture too soft too. Which is bad. [​IMG]
    The only real solution is a physical disconnect of the SVM inside the TV. Which means opening up the back case ...
    Aside from the fear of opening it up, the actual process of disconnection is straight forward and easy. Takes 5 sec.
    Now there is that Death angle to consider though ... always the death thing. [​IMG]
    Image looks so much better when it is off. Now remember, RCA will be of no assistance in this matter. They have informed calibrators to tell their clients to return their TV's rather than help on the SVM issue.