What's new

Disabling SVM on H81 and HX81 models... (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
You don't need to open up the back and pull a wire. Just hit the menu button, and go into the *movie* mode (not to be confused with the film/video option on the second menu screen). This disables SVM.
Once in "movie", modify your settings to the values you want (contrast, color, brightness, etc. When you begin to modify these values, the TV will switch to "preferences" mode, BUT your SVM will stay disabled. *Save* these values, and you are set.
If you pull up your menu and immediately go into "preferences" mode without going into "movie", you will not disable SVM...
------------------
History can be cruel in its brevity of words

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. But I thought simply turning the "Sharpness" control to its lowest setting did the trick. (At least that's how it's done on the 56H80.)
------------------
2001-a.jpg

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Steve, I can verify what you're saying, but I'm not 100% sure that SVM is actually completely disabled. I think it might just be set to it's lowest setting. This may be good enough for most people though.
Jack, that's not the way to do it on a Toshiba. In fact, Toshiba's sharpness control does not really work quite like the sharpness control on most brands and you definitely don't want it on zero. In the 30-40 range is probably better.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
JohnnyG - are you sure about the sharpness setting on Toshibas? I've had a tw40f80 for 4 years and an 57h81 for a month, and with both sets i've gotten gorgeous pictures (after using VE and going into the service menu and doing the 56 point convergence) with the sharpness set on 0...
------------------

Han

Second Unit
Steve's right about the movie -> preference setting to kill SVM. The contrast become rock steady after doing this and popping in Avia to check.
I'm not sure about the sharpness yet, because everytime I get to do a little calibrating, my wife wants to watch TV :). I do know that some TVs do sharpness differently than others. My old JVC 32 inch set stops ringing way before it hits the lowest setting. I'm not sure about my Toshiba 50H81 yet, because it's sometimes hard to tell when I have to deal with the stupid ghost images as well.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Steve, I'm not certain about your F80, but I have not found the need to set sharpness below about 25 on any of the H/HX models that I've calibrated so far (half a dozen or so). I'm using the Multiburst pattern on my Sencore VP300 pattern generator and finding a setting just below the point where ringing is noted.
On the 43H70 I currently have at home, I have the sharpness control set at 50 for satellite viewing. There's a very small amount of ringing on test patterns at this level, but it's undetectable with video, including the text in the IPG.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Gary_E

Second Unit
I know the consensus here is that sharpness should be set to zero but on my 40H80, with SVM disconnected and 3:2 pulldown activated in the ADDR mode, DVDs and HD OTA broadcasts are unwatchable. The way my particular set responds to sharpness adjustment is that it seems as if the mid-point (50) is the best setting. I've read some posts from people who are inclined to believe that the mid setting is neutral. In my particular case, this seems correct.
The 40H80 is connected by monster cable to a progressive Toshiba 5109.
-Gary

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
JohnnyG and Gary_E - a belated thank you on the advice about sharpness. I've now got mine set on 30 and the picture is even better!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread