Disabling Sound...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Svencer, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Chris Svencer

Chris Svencer Stunt Coordinator

Can the onboard sound on motherboards be disabled through the bios to use a seperate audio board. I am talking specifically about the ECS K7S5A if it matters what board I have. Thanks alot.
    Chris Svencer

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I think if you just put it in, you can set it in Windows with the hardware manager and stuff.

3. Chris Svencer

You mean just set it to default...like a printer or something?
    Thanks.
    Svence

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi Chris I checked out the board it uses a AC 97 Audio! Do you have the book for the motherboard??
    On my board you can disable it in BIOS and disable it with pins on the motherboard. If you have the book it should tell you in there how to disable it or check in BIOS!! good luck! [​IMG]

5. Chris Svencer

Thanks for all the help. Checked out the PDF manual online and found out you can do it through the bios. Thanks guys.
    -Svence

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    what does the AC97 audio do? I have the same mobo, K7S5A

7. Chris Svencer

I believe it is just the codec for the "sound card." Just like soundblaster or turtle beach, but just ac97. It is pretty much the standard built in audio "card." Well that is how I always understood it. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Hope this helps.
    -Svence

8. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Chris was just wondering what soundcard are you going to upgrade too??

9. Chris Svencer

I am not upgrading...well yet...I am building a new computer. So far the list is:
    Athlon XP 2200
    256meg DDR ram
    ECS MB
    Audigy OEM
    40 gig HD
    old burner/dvd drive
    geforce 4 mx420
    enermax case (modded)
    for a grand total of $572 shipped to my door.
    So how does it sound? Let me know what you guys think. Will be for Theater and Gaming.
    -Svence

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not the biggest computer/HTPC guy here, but i'd think that you should shop around for your sound and video card. Im not sure how it does for HT, but i've heard GREAT things about the Turtle Beach SantaCruz card (last i saw was $42 from amazon).

Also, the GF4MX420 is kinda on the slow side, if you can, shell out for a better one if you're gonna be doing much gaming.
    The VGA charts at Tomshardware listed the MX440 as kinda mid-pack compared to other cards, and my GF2GTS scored better in Aquanox. And the 440 is already DDRRam, the MX420 uses SDram, which i bet will be much slower.

Hope im clear with all my info :b

11. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I'll add to the above

That Geforce 4 card has been beaten handily. You'd be better off going for a Ti4200(or the like). Overclocking seems to be very stable for most of these cards and you can get near Ti4600 performance from the Ti4200. I have been doing tons of research lately for the system I'm building. You can get one for around $130

Sean

12. Chris Svencer

I really like the audigy, first off it is 5.1 and secondly I love having the Firewire port on it too. The thing with the Geforce4 mx420 is that it may be a little weak, but I found if for $60 shipped. The 4200ti is twice that. Can you recommend anything in the middle or just suck it up and spend the extra cash. Thanks for all the ideas.
    -Svence
    Also wondering if anyone has had experience with the new Logitech z-640 5.1 speakers. I know they are no Klipsch but they are only 65 bucks.

13. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

The Geforce4MX series is just a souped up GF2 for the most part. You can probably find a Geforce3TI series card for a good price, and it will be faster than the GF4MX series cards (thaks for making that so clear NVidia [​IMG] ).
    http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/4129-1.htm

15. Chris Svencer

So do those little numbers mean again...since apparently the 3rd version may be better then the 4th... You think they could make this simple. I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the 4200ti for like $125. Any thoughts on those speakers, I know they are new just wondering. Thanks again.
    -Svence

16. brentl

brentl Cinematographer