Disabling DRC on Sony TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Menduina, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Michael Menduina

Is it possible to disable DRC using a service mode setting? I bought a Sony KV32HS500 this past weekend and I've run into a problem. It seems everyhing BUT my satellite looks fabulous on this TV. I'm not sure if its an upconverting problem, but it's driving me nuts!

Here's my main use for the TV in order: Satellite, Video Games, DVD's. Like I said initially, the problem is the Sat. I've tried all the different DRC modes but I still get tons of artifacts and overall a blurry picture (regular cable looks nicer on this TV!). I fiddled with the VSM and sharpness settings but I can't find a good overall setting.

Since my TV shipped with some nasty geometry problems and some huge over-scan, I've since figured out how to enter the service mode. I made certain to write down all the settings I changed but there are hundreds of settings that I have no clue about.

If I could return this TV I would (all sales final). Right now I'm wishing I'd bought a regular 32" instead of spending the extra $800 CDN for this unit. It sucks to spend a few thousand dollars to get something that looks worse for everyday viewing. (The sat problems aside, the DVD anamorphic squeeze and 3:2 pull down features look incredible...as does my XBox in 480p). Unfortunately, I watch my PVR 80% of the time!

Any suggestions welcome (I'm hoping not to have to sell this TV and purchase a lower end model)

Thanks,

Michael M

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I don't believe the line doubler can be turned off. The model above this one (32HV600, replacement for the 32" XBR) has an adjustable DRC which some have said helps a lot with cable and satellite but for the HS series, I don't think there is much you can do.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jeff- So DRC doesn't work that great with cable? (AT&T and now Comcast.) I see you're in S.C. too, but do you have cable or a dish?

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

SET DRC to 480p. Turn SVM off. Adjust other picture settings with AVIA or Video Essentials. A good TV with a big screen will reveal the MPEG compression flaws in sat. TV.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I can see MPEG2 compression artifacts even with the analog Panny I have now on the digital channels from my cable...

I thought SVM should only be off with DVD sources? If I run 480i then convert to 480p, should it be off then too? (Basically, off all the time?)

6. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

SVM should die a painful death and has no place on a high-end TV. All it does is distort the picture in an attempt to give you a sharper image. Leave TV's DRC set to 480p and leave SVM off ALL THE TIME. Adjust your picture with a calibration DVD like AVIA. In the mean time, set PICTURE, BRIGHTNESS, COLOR and HUE to 50%. Set SHARPNESS to about 25%.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Thanks!