Disabled 7-year-old ejected from theater

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Lockwood, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

absolutely disgusting!

Fire the manager that ejected them, and free lifetime pass for the family, and a private viewing of the movie.

Brent

3. andrew markworthy

There should be a ring of purgatory reserved for people with this sort of reaction to disability. The thing in the Bible about the mote in thy neighbour's eye and the plank of wood in your own comes to mind.

I agree that someone with a mental disability laughing rather too long and loud (and sometimes inappropriately) can be irritating. But so what? First, the poor devil and his/her family have enough to cope with without someone in full command of their faculties bleating about it, and second, compared with other jackass behaviour by people who could and should know better, it is a very minor thing.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, this definitely was mis-handled. let's say that even if the boy was laughing excessively loud, the manager could have simply asked the parents to manage their son, ask him to be a little quieter, etc.

then stating the parents can stay, but the child has to leave? i mean, wtf is that!!! man ... that manager is an serious bonehead.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I've read on another online forum that the Pratti child has no disability and the parents are just using this as a tactic in their multi-million dollar lawsuit against the theater-chain.

It could be false, but it certainly seems more-likely than a manager throwing somebody in a WC to the curb. [​IMG]

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I will reserve judgement until I hear from the other party. Even in the heavily biased article linked above the mom admits that her child was louder then the other people in the theater.

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

That would be difficult to pull off in court, wouldn't it? All it would take is for the defendant to demand that an independent physician examine the kid, and a fraudulent claim would go down the tubes.

As for the case, while the original article certainly paints a sad picture, it's also a very opinionated and biased piece, so let's not crucify anyone just yet. Yes, special consideration should be shown to a child suffering from cerebral palsy, but what if he was really being disruptive well beyond acceptable levels? In the average theater, there's some 300 other paying patrons, who also have rights.

8. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Horrifying!
    How about offer anyone who was distracted by it a refund of their ticket. When I think of the crap that has caused me to almost avoid theater's like the plague, and they crack down a a kid laughing too loud, I cringe.

I will definitely keep an eye on this story!

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I was saddened by reading this too, but now I have to wonder - didn't any of the other ticket-holders complain to the family first?

I think the parents would have quickly gotten the hint to have him tone it down, so what really happened?

Glenn

10. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer