What's new

Disable SVM on Toshiba 55HX70 (1 Viewer)

Scott_R

Auditioning
Can anyone tell me the best way? When I open the front, there are three boards, one on each gun. There is a pair of wires (yellow and white) with a connector going to each board. I'm pretty sure from looking at the service manual that these connectors are what I need to unplug. Can anybody confirm this? The left and the center one should be easy to unplug but the right one is going to be tight. Or.... should I just unplug the main SVM power supply? I think you have to go into the rear for this. Can anybody tell me exactly where the plug is? Which is the best way to disable this?
THX

Paul Walther

Agent
Hey, Scott. The main SVM power cable is WAY easier to unplug and definitely safer than trying to unplug each CRT card. It's located by going in the back of the set- look on the left side (looking at it from the rear) near the power supply. It'll be closer to you than the power supply, coming out of a wire harness, going to a simple plastic socket that's easy to pull out (you really can't miss it). Did this on mine in 2 minutes- piece of cake!
Regards,
Paul
------------------
DocW

Scott_R

Auditioning
Thanks Paul!
I think I'd rather unplug one connector than three especially since the three on each board seemed a little flimsy.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a 55HX70 last week. I haven't had a chance to use AVIA on it yet, but once I do I may disable SVM.
In your opinion, will this make a large improvement. I watch mostly DSS and a couple of DVDs a week.

Paul Walther

Agent
Hey, Jim. You will see improvement if you generally watch your set using one of the non-movie modes available in the picture menu. Movie mode disables SVM automatically. There is some disagreement as to whether or not STARTING in movie-mode, making adjustments, and then saving will continue the auto-disable of SVM, so for peace of mind I just disable it via the internal power cord. SVM creates a false outline around objects, which on film material looks totally un-natural (which is why we hate edge-enhancement so much here). On non-film material it obscures detail.
By the way, since you're getting Avia- I've had several 55HX70 owners (and some 50HX70 owners as well) report via e-mail with me that they are having good results using the manual anamorphic squeeze technique I've outlined here: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...sh_55hx70.html You'll need the Avia (or similar) disk to initially set up the values for this technique. To see what your 55HX70 can really do, I would urge you to at least try this out. You may choose not to mess with it again, but it's very informative to see how good these sets can look doing a true anamorphic squeeze with a well produced anamorphic DVD. For more info, you can contact me directly from the Keohi site link, if needed.
Have fun,
Paul
------------------
DocW

Scott_R

Auditioning
Hey Jim
I'll second what Paul is saying about the "squeeze". I do it on my set and it really makes a huge difference on anamorphic DVD's. At least give it a try.
As far as SVM, almost everyone says to disable it. I've had my set since March and am just now starting to get into "tweak mode" after reading as much as I could so I'd understand what I'm doing. I'm going to disable SVM tonight.
The 55HX70 is a great set and to me you get the best of both worlds, 4:3 and 16x9. Make yourself some mattes and it will blow you away!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks