What's new

Disable power button on Samsung LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

Jason77

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Mathews
Hopefully someone can help me with this. I want to disable the power and channel/volume buttons on my Samsung LCD TV (Model LN-T4042H.) The reason I want to do this is because my toddler keeps turning the set off on me and I can't keep him from doing it. I never use the buttons myself, only the remote, so I just want to disable them so they don't work. Can this be done?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
there "may" be a front panel access control on / off switch in the user menu settings ?? I know that some brands have this control (mits and Tosh).

Jason77

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Mathews
Nothing in the user menus, I checked extensively. I did figure out how to do it though. Browsing around various forums I found the code to access the service menu. Now, service menus make me nervous, with all the stories of messing up TVs after accessing them. Anyway, I accessed it, being very careful not to change anything that I didn't understand. Well, when I was in there, there was a "Hotel Mode" menu which allowed me to change the startup channel, volume, input, etc., as well as disabling all of the buttons on the TV. Problem solved. I disabled the buttons, quickly left the service menu, and did not mess up my TV. For anyone that also wants to do this, to access the service menu, you need to turn off the melody that plays when you turn the TV on and off. Once that's done, turn the TV off, the press Mute-1-8-2-Power. That gets you into the service menu. Don't change anything though if you're not 100% sure that you know what you're changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks