Dirty Pretty Things

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Henry Carmona, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I love Audrey Tautou, and this is her English language debut, but im not too sure about this movie, although id like to see it anyway.

Anyone got any info?
    Is it any good?

Heres the trailer:
    Trailer
    If it doesnt work, go HERE

Her second English language film will be "Nowhere To Go But Up" and will be her first American production film.

Its a comedy:

2. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Has anyone seen this movie?? I saw it was playing at a local theater, and it seemed pretty intriguing.

Just wondering what the buzz is....[​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Here's my review in the 2003 Alternative Film thread. There are other comments following mine. I think it's a very fine film.

(Unfortunately, the index at the beginning of the thread is somewhat out of date.)

M.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I thought it was fantastic, but opinion has been reletively mixed on the forum. Check the 2003 Film List for member's ratings, and I'm sure there are at least a couple small reviews in the 2003 Foreign, Alternative and Independent Films thread.

Edit: Damn, Michael beat me too it.

5. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I thought it was a painfully ordinary film. None of the characters were even remotely compelling. The comedy was embarrassingly out of place. The central performance had an appropriate dignity, but also seemed flat and perfunctory. Lines are only delivered to confer necessary plot/character informtaion to the audience. Particularly jarring, was the final monologue about the lives of those who inhabit the world the film depicts; none of it felt even remotely real to me. Personally, I'd avoid this one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Dang Paul, thats not what i wanted to hear [​IMG]

Ill catch the film and see, but your right Matt, it has been a mixed review film.

I really like Audrey, i hope her movie career gets better.

Thanks for the link Michael!!

Thankfully, i have read some good reviews about "He Loves Me He Loves Me Not"

7. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I thought it was great. The only thing that Paul said that I'd agree with is that the lead actor was a bit lacking. There's a particular facial expression he uses so much that it eventually becomes distracting.

Like one of my favorite films, El Norte, the movie does a great job of depicting a slice of society we don't see represented very often.

I can only guess that you're talking about the scenes with the cabbies. Maybe a bit stupid, but it does help establish a key characteristic of the main character.

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I liked it, although I wouldn't consider it a great film by any stretch. It's funny that the ads are touting the film as one of the best thrillers of the year, but it's the "thriller" aspects of it that were the weakest part of the movie. I like the characters, though, and on that level it worked for me.

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've gotta agree with Martin on this. The characters were as compelling as I've seen in recent films (IMO of course). I thought the story was silly to an extent, but the characters really drew me in.

10. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here is my very positive recommendation.

~Edwin

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I saw an entirely different film from most of you. Edwin's review comes closest to mirroring my feelings about the film. Far from perfect but still great, and perfect pacing/plotting.

Chiwetel Ejiofor gave an amazing performance, far from perfunctory, but guarded, grieving, pained and totally sympathetic. Benedict Wong's wry, morbid humor - a humor totally fitting in with the dark comedy - stole every scene what little screen time he had. Sergi Lopez's English speaking (albeit phonetic) debut inbued his 'villian' with the enough pathos and humor to keep him from sliding into the trap of 'one dimensional foil.' (And yes, I saw his fate coming from a mile away, but it didn't make it any less satisfying.)
    Audrey Tatao was the most forgettable character though, didn't imbue me with a sense of sympathy or believability. I applaud her, however, for not once channeling 'Amelie' here. She was truly an entirely different character.

Back to Ejiofor's performance: one of the most nuanced performances of the year! His menagerie of subtle facial expressions, like I said earlier, struck me as far from perfunctory. He wasn't passive to the events going on around him, nor did he not care. Instead, you feel this is a person with strong morals and boundaries who has imploded with grief but still pushes on as an exile in an unfriendly land.

Not a perfect film but totally charming, well acted, and anything but 'dull.' I cared about what happened to the characters, and although some of them were nothing more than caricatures, each of them had enough quirks to distinguish themselves - and not annoy me - throughout the course of this solidly paced and plotted pulp thriller. With heart. I loved it.

12. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I was curious that no one had started a thread on here by the time I saw the movie...I personally thought it was really good and refreshing. No SFX, nothing special, it's all on the story and the actors.

I personally really enjoyed my time spent at the theater, just left the theater with a feeling different than I've felt for quite some time.

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

In that respect, it may be a 'good' performance. But for me, it just didn't make for an interesting character.

14. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Michael,

Thanks for pointing out that thread.

I guess I will just have to see this and decide for myself. I am still very intriuged to say the least.

15. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    I'm hoping to watch these this weekend.

Anyone know which are available on DVD now?

I think one of the ones i mentioned above is still in productin correct?

16. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Fair enough. I personally quite enjoyed his performance. I felt it lended the right tone to someone who was essentially drifting through their existence...

17. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I certainly didn't view the janitor as a "comic" character. He was good-natured and had a few funny lines, but nothing that was all that jarringly out of place. Can't a movie be serious and occasionally have light-hearted moments?