Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry - Finally! - Short Review

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent Avery, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

It's been on my mind alot lately as the June 28 release date from Anchor Bay gets closer and the best part is that a copy made it into my dvd player today. I got a kick out of the dvd itself showing a reproduction of the TicTac (combination tach and clock) used in some of the R/T models. Nice touch. First off is that the image looks very good indeed and I could not see any signs of scratches, dirt etc. It appears very solid and sharp and is presented in its OAR of 1.85 - enhanced for 16x9 of course. Some scenes seem to be a bit softer by intention (ever so slightly) but overall it gets high marks. Since the color is by Deluxe this may be the reason for a somewhat "warmer" look to some scenes as well - or possibly because of the location shots affecting percieved color balance. Its something I have noticed in a number of films from that era. Don't get me wrong - it still looks great and now I can FINALLY dispose of my P&S tape that served me well over the last 10 years - ever since I recorded from a late night airing on my local tv station - what a difference! And I think Vic Morrow steals the show as the unorthodox cop but it all comes together in a way that has made it the cult classic it is.

The Audio is offered with three options: Dolby Digital 5.1 Dolby, 2.0 Surround and what must be the original Mono Soundtrack. After sampling all three my preference definitely leaned towards the 5.1 remix. The sound was spread across all three front speakers with dialogue anchored more in the center . It manages to come across as more spacious in its presentation and although your sub will hardly be working the 5.1 does seem to allow for a more "fuller" sound. I could not discern any support from the rear speakers other than during the final chase scenes when a car would blast by . Guess there is only so much you can do with a Mono recording from 1974! The only downside is that I had to turn up the volume quite a bit in order to really hear everything but what was there came through well enough.Most modern films at the setting I had to use would be shaking my apartment.

Lastly I should mention the included extras. Anchor Bay to their credit has given fans of this cult classic some worthy additions. First of all they include an 8 page booklet with a movie poster reproduced on the front cover and the 16 chapter stops on the back. In between this is a write up on the film by Adam Rockoff.There are a few still shots from the film included as well. As for the extras on the dvd itself the 30 minute 23 second Documentary entitled
    "Ride On The Wild Side" was very entertaining and I learned that 1) Susan George is English and so was the Director both who, along with Peter Fonda give some insightful thoughts on the film. I only wish it had been longer! It would have been nice to hear about the cars themselves ( such as why they picked the Dodge Charger etc.) but still it was great to watch. The interviews were filmed in 1.85 but since my intial viewing was on a 4:3 display I cannot say if it was enhanced at this point. I will try to watch it with a front projector by the weekend to get a real idea of the dvd's image quality. It looks promising.
    Along with the main feature there are 2 TV spots , both full frame and lasting 60 & 30 seconds respectively. The second spot presents Dirty Mary,Crazy Larry as a double bill with Vanishing Point. Next are 3 radio spots - which I did not bother with as I wanted to see the Dodge Charger commercial. It's a 60 second Animated piece with a Western theme - about 20 seconds of it showing a Charger - looks to be Dark Green with a white vinyl top - no R/Ts here as it was promoting the then popular "White Hat Specials". Still worth a look for those of you fond of Dodge/Plymouths (like me).Still regret selling my '69 Charger. Watching the one in the film kinda brings tears to my eyes.

Rounding out the Extras we have a Theatrical Trailer, Teaser Trailer, Poster and Still Gallery ( I gave up after approx. 30 images ) and Talent Bios on John Hough, Peter Fonda and Susan George. Anchor Bay also threw in Previews for Race With The Devil (1.85), Butch And Sundance - The Early Days (1.85), Moving Violations (Full Frame), and License To Drive (Full Frame).

Well, it is really nice for the people involved at Anchor Bay to finally release this film on dvd - I don't think it was ever offered in anything other than a P&S version and for what they are asking it is well worth it. You won't have to try finding an overpriced older copy on Ebay anymore and Anchor Bay gets a well deseved THANKYOU. Next up for viewing is another Peter Fonda flick from the same time (1975) Race With The Devil. Stay tuned.

2. Tim RP

Tim RP Stunt Coordinator

Nice review Brent - thanks! I remember seeing the trailer for this at the cinema (before The Man with the Golden Gun, I think) and being quite impressed. Only seen it the once on UK terrestrial television and holds up quite well. I'm pleased that the documentary is more than some throw away featurette too.

Definite thanks to Anchor Bay for releasing this and Race with the Devil and with a good selection of extras but I have to say I'm disappointed with the choice of box art on this release - chance for a nice example of exploitation-style poster art and something I thought AB would jump at. At least they kept the title font and tag lines. I know, it's a masterpiece compared to the abysmal effort on Race with the Devil...

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Damn, I'm gonna have to finally watch my old Beta tape from Magnetic Video before this comes out.

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i hope this works out and you do report back Brent.
    an fp is what i'm using, and based on a recent broadcast on Fox Movie Channel, i was expecting this film to not look all that great on my set-up- due to its obivious low budget roots.
    there was a scene in a bar/dinner at the begining of the film that looked like it had a lot of grain, as well as some gamma issues.

but i'm glad to hear you found the package as a whole worthwhile.
    this is one of my most anticipated releases this year.
    it's going to be great to finally be able to own it.

as far as i know, its never been released on a home video format other than that very early Magnetic VHS release.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

finally had the chance to watch this on my fp last night and i am floored at the quality of this release.
    i've seen a bunch of 70s era catalog titles recently, and some big budget 80s material and this film blows away all of them in terms of presentation. i tried not to watch a recent airing on Fox Movie Channel, but one scene i did see, the scene in the bar (which is no where near the begining of the film as i wrote earlier- dunno how i got that mixed up) looked like it was going to present some problems and didn't auger well for any other low light scenes.
    well, this disc looked considerably better and every single the daylight shot looked simply fantastic!

this is only the second time i've seen the film, the first being sometime in the late 80s, and i have to be honest that it didn't quite pack the same punch this time around.
    I did enjoy it and am thrilled to now have it on the shelf, but its complete uncirculation for so long probably influenced/inflated my opinion of the material. it also didn't help that i saw it as i was fighting sleep after a long day- but i just couldn't wait any longer for 'the right time'.
    now that i've ratcheted it down a few notches, i expect future viewings will be actually more satisfying.

the car stunt work in here is amazing. i wasn't as conscious of it when i first saw the film on tape on a small tv, but last night i had a gaping jaw for much of it- beautifully shot and edited.
    very visceral and extremly dangerous looking.
    can't believe no one got seriously injured filming it.

anyways-Bravo to AB!
    and Fox as well for that matter.
    i was thrilled to hear that Fox was going to allow them to do this one, and their production of the disc did not disappoint.