Dirty Harry Extras - 16:9 yet not anamorphic - why ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Stone, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Chris Stone

Chris Stone Agent

anyone know what the deal is with Warner presenting the extras in 16:9 yet not encoding them anamorphically ?

this goes for both the documentary as well as the additional interviews - really annoying and it makes no sense whatsoever

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I would hazard a guess and say that Warner are concerned that anamorphically encoding extras requires extra bitrate which will decrease the quality of the main features...
    ...and not that the people at Warner are demonstrating yet again how clueless they are as to what consumers want. [​IMG]

3. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Can anyone answer if there is a DVD that has extra features that are 16X9 enhanced?

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While I do not generally mind extra features being non-anamorphic, I do wish that Warner had flagged the extras on Dirty Harry properly so that my Panasonic RP-91 would automatically zoom/scale the picture for the interviews.
    BTW, the trailer was anamorphic.

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Tom,
    Anchor Bay's extras are usually anamorphic - even for 4:3 material!
    edit: Holy Smokes - I've gone binary [​IMG]

6. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

That's right! Anchor bay rocks!!! Few Studios do this and I cannot think of any other right now but Anchor Bay just makes me cry... Can you tell I love these guys?

7. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I'm glad that Anchor Bay encode their widescreen supplements anamorphically, but -- even as a 16:9 set owner -- I can't say I'm enthused about the idea of presenting 1.33:1 supplements in 16:9. Why throw away that extra horizontal resolution for a little convenience?
    I think the correct answer is for DVD players and TVs to switch formatting as needed (à la the Panasonic RP-91) and for all supplements to be encoded properly. This means 4:3 encoding for anything 1.54:1 or narrower, 16:9 for 1.55:1 or wider.
    doug

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The documentary was made in 1999, so it wouldn't have had anamorphic extras in mind.

Even NxNW's documentary is 4:3, but it was made for TCM, I think. One clip from this film is from the unrestored version if you can spot it.