"Dirty Dozen" Region 2 aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stephen PI, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I have, today, just viewed this new release and I am alarmed that there has been little outcry on the aspect ratio of this classic title. This title is dramatically overmatted top and bottom and should never be viewed this way. I do not recall how the 70mm prints looked on this film, as the specs for the aspect ratio on the packaging (2.20:1)seems to indicate that this ratio is correct for this film. This title should be 1.85:1. This title should be recalled and corrected. I hope this does not indicate the way the Region 1 release will look.

2. Kai Penttila

Kai Penttila Agent

The dirty dozen was filmed in “Metroscope”, which was, as far as I know, just MGM’s way of saying that their prints were hard-matted to any aspect ratio from 1.66:1 to 2:1. The (not always reliable) IMDb gives The dirty dozen’s OAR as 2:1.

3. guille verdun

guille verdun Stunt Coordinator

it's there a R1 dvd recomended?

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

The prints were hard matted at 1.85:1.

Ted

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    If you have the 1.85:1 ratio dvd, the opening and closing credits scroll in a section of the picture that is about 2.2:1. They don't start at the bottom or end on the top of the 1.85:1 frame.

6. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    ITV 4 are showing this tonight, just viewed some of it, it appears to be 2.20:1, IMDB lists the 70mm blowup release as being 2.20:1 but 35mm prints being 1:75:1, i have seen it in various aspect ratio's and it works in all of them thus like a previous poster i believe this film is intended to be seen in more than one aspect ratio.