Dirty Dozen... MGM or Warners??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Nov 27, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I did several forum searches for "Dirty Dozen" and nothing came up...

I'd just like to know whether I should go for the MGM or Warners release, are both seperate transfers and are they anamorphic enhanced?

According to Video Universe, The WB version has a featurette called, "Operation Dirty Dozen", as well as an introduction by Ernest Borgnine and the theatrical trailer.

The MGM version comes in an amaray keepcase however (over Warners snapper) and contains a "behind-the-scenes" featurette according to Amazon.com.

What about the actual image transfers and audio, which version should I opt for... or is there a difference?

I'd prefer the keepcase version, but is the MGM "behind-the-scenes" featurette the same as Warners "Operation Dirty Dozen"?

Has anyone experienced both discs, and if so, which if the extras is more interesting?

Thanks!

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    They're probably the same, except for the packaging.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Well the features definitely sound different..

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    They're the same. Both contain the same featurette and the same non-anamorphic transfer.

DJ

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks for confirming Damin. [​IMG]

(MGM for me)

6. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

There is a region two DVD from the UK that is anamorphic.

7. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Since this is such a high-profile title, and WB's 2 Disc Special Editions have set the standard for the industry, I'd bet that a new R1 edition must be in the works, with 16x9, oodles of special features, and many other extras that are typical for WB's efforts.

8. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Definitely. I wonder if they'll use the 2 disc release of the new cut of The Big Red One as an excuse.

9. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Drew:

When is this coming? I love this one as well.

PatH

10. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

I had heard that it would street around D-Day, so my best guess would be June 7. My biggest concern right now is hunting a theatrical showing of the limited release print going around. I'll definitely buy it regardless, but it would be awesome to see it on the big screen.

Fox also needs to get on the ball and do a new DVD (with some freaking chapters, jeesh) 2-disc set for The Longest Day and put the 2-disc Patton back into print. I don't understand why the war films are being treated with so much disregard. I guess we just need to wait for Tarantino to get around to ripping them all off with Inglorious Bastards so the studios will feel that we care enough to buy them.

11. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but this R2 release is presented in a 2.20:1 aspect ratio while R1 releases are 1,78:1... And from what I saw, 2.20:1 is not an accurate framing.
    It would be nice to have a graphic comparison of thoses discs.

12. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Well, it did premiere in 70mm which is 2.20.

13. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Stunt Coordinator

Then it looks like Warner Europe have matted a 35mm copy for this release... Because burnt-in english subs (for german-speaking sequences) are getting off the frame.

14. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

It was a blow up, and the 35mm original was not Scope.

The R2 versions are incorrectly framed.

15. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I agree with you Roger on the region 2 disc, awful. I read somewhere that "Dirty Dozen" was a 'MetroScope' title and that any ratio ranging from 1.66 through 2.20 was supposed to be acceptable. Why did Warner have to choose the ratio for dvd that utilised the biggest mattes! If 2.20 is supposed to be a choice, why are heads on many shots cropped so badly? The transfer is unwatchable.

16. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

MGM and Warner did the same thing with 'They Were Expendable'. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it because Warner now own's MGM film library?

And if this is the case, why would Warner double-dip on a title that's already out, as opposed to releasing an MGM film that's new to the DVD market (like 1948's 'Three Godfathers')?

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

They didn't exactly "double-dip." Nearly all of the DVD's MGM released before 1999 of pre-1986 MGM films were repackaged by Warner for later pressings. A few of the MGM editions repackaged by Warner:

2001: A Space Odyssey (later remastered), Brigadoon, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (later remastered), 2010, An American in Paris, Gigi, Bataan, Westworld, Singin' in the Rain (later remastered), A Christmas Story (later remastered), Casablanca (later remastered), How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (later remastered), The Philadelphia Story, and Gone with the Wind (later remastered).

All of these were exactly like the older MGM editions, except that the packaging was changed (many times to theatrical posters rather than MGM's ugly Photoshop demo covers) and video logos changed to Warner's. Of course, many have since then had special editions (like GWTW and Seven Brides).

Warner never repackaged the MGM version of The Wizard of Oz since the first Warner disc was the SE. Doctor Zhivago was almost released by MGM, but it was cancelled and later issued by WB as an SE.

18. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Has there been any news regarding a release of this title in 2005?