Dirt Roads

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Carmona, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Got this from my local paper:

What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved. There's not a problem in America today- crime, drugs, education,divorce, delinquency - that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride. That it can jar you right
    down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end is home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.We wouldn't have near the trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved. Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs and a double barrel shotgun. And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse! People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks.

Dirt Roads taught patience. Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly, you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk you walked to the barn for your milk.For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out? That was the best part, then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony
    rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap. Most paved roads lead to trouble, Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole. At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

At the end of a Dirt Road, there was always
    extra springtime income, from when city dudes would get stuck, you'd have to hitch up a team and pull them out. Usually you got a dollar...always you got a new friend...at the end of a Dirt Road!

~by Paul Harvey~

2. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Heck, who needs roads, make everything singletrack and give everybody mountain bikes and trailers. Why stop at dirt roads?
    [​IMG]
    Jay

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Ah yes, things were always better way back when.
    There was less crime in our streets before they were paved.
    That is really a good one. I guess human nature just magically changed with the application of asphalt. Dodge city must have been a paradise because they only had dirt roads. [​IMG]
    And there were no drive by shootings.
    And no reason to base his fictional tale on reality either? Drive by shootings have been around since the invention of guns and long before cars.

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Actually the trick to dirt roads is to go pretty fast, that way the bumps smooth out and you fly right over the potholes.

I've been driving on dirt roads all my life. The town my father grew up only has 1 paved road, "coincidentally" leading to the commissioner's house. Great election insurance, because they say if they voted for a new commissioner, they would have to spend money paving a new road.

7. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Of course, erosion was always a problem..... [​IMG]

8. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

I grew up on dirt roads (orlando area), and I have two words for ya:
    POWER SLIDES [​IMG]

9. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

10. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I also grew up on dirt roads and lived by the credo:
    side-ass-wanky!!!
    That's what happens to you when you go too fast [​IMG]

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

They say you can't turn back the clock, but actually, you can, and you can stop it by just removing the batteries[​IMG]

12. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

When I was young we didn't have any PAVED roads. If you were lucky enough to own a car it was full of dings and chipped paint from all the rocks and crap. If you weren't careful and you got to drivin' too fast you would lose control and think to yourself "Ooooh noooo, I'm going to hit that tree..." You'd smash into the tree, launch through the windshield and right before impact you would think "What a dumbass, I shoulda had on my seatbelt..." but there weren't any mamby pamby wussy seat belts to save lives and thats the way it was and WE LIKED IT!

13. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Ya bunch of cynics! [​IMG]
    I thought the article was nice, poetic even. :b
    JKS

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

15. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

16. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

dirt roads! one word, F U N!

17. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...taking the dirt road'll always help build a little character.

18. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

I wish we had all dirt roads in my town. The paved roads here are far bumpier. Potholes the size of VW Beatles.[​IMG]