DirecTV with Tivo is this the best setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher M, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

http://www.americansatellite.com/pro...9MQ1V&ITEM=903

Its the Dual LNB dish, the HDVR2 Tivo/Reciever unit, and a 2nd receiver.

Few questions:
    Would this include Dolby Digital out?
    Whats the 4-way multi switch?

What do you think, decent price, or can I get it elsewhere cheaper?

Murdock

2. Christopher M

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The Sony model is the Series 1 DirecTivo. It's the same internally as the Series 1 Hughes and Philips. Sony just packages it with a different remote and a software patch to allow it to control Sony VCR's. While these were "new", you would pay an extra $100 for the Sony over the Hughes or Philips.

The HDVR2 is the Series 2 model. It has a faster processor, more RAM and USB ports (currently not used). The only drawback is that it does not come with a second drive bracket so you have to purchase one if you want to add another drive.

4. Christopher M

Yea, we can get the locals [​IMG]

So that Series 2 Hughes one will includ digital out? I couldn't find any mention of it on their site.

Thanks.

Murdock

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I just looked at DirecTV's site and didn't see Aurora listed. Only Denver is listed. Was Aurora recently added or are you getting Denver locals?

-Robert

6. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

If you can get locals, DirecTV/TiVo combo boxes rule. Get a series 2. I have a series 1 since I got mine over a year ago, and I love, love, love, love, love it. Did I mention I love it? The 2 tuner part of the equation is really a plus. Again if you can get locals I think this over a standalone TiVo is a no brainer.

However, if you are into HD, and have the equipment to receive and view it then wait for a DirecTV/TiVo combo that can record HD. One should be out by the end of the year. I hear it will have dual tuners and be basically like the current models with the addition of HD recording. If they can also record OTA HD, I will buy one the day it comes out regardless of price. I currently can receive a fair amount of HD, and of the shows I TiVo many are in HD. The problem is once you have a TiVo it's very hard to watch live TV. To see these shows in HD I have to watch them live. This is why I am practically drooling at the prospect of an HD TiVo.

OK, maybe a little too much info, but basically if you don't have HD or don't plan to in the near future get a series 2 DriecTiVo. If you do get HD or will soon, wait for the HD TiVo. Well, unless you can get a great deal on a series 2 and have a non-HD second TV to hook it up to where it will get a lot of use. Two TiVo's is always better than one. [​IMG]

7. Christopher M

Aurora is a Denver suburb. So they are local Denver stations. Thats all we have.

I don't have HD Equipment yet. I'm looking at an inFocus X1, but even then, thats just for movies.
    So looks like this Series 2 is the thing to have. Thanks guys.

Murdock

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    For everything TiVo related.

-Robert

9. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Mine is scheduled for install tomorow, weather cooperating. Series 2 DirecTivo that is.