DirecTV with HDTV - Best place to start

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tyler DJW, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

Please help!

I'm frustrated that DirecTV has a lot of good deals for signing up new accounts right now, but nothing for HDTV enthusiasts like me. It looks like I need to go out and buy the multi-satellite dish on my own, where you can get the same dish for free with spanish programming, as well as the sat-c LNB for free.

Is it just me, or is there a better way to do this? Where is the best place to buy the DirecTV equipment needed for HDTV (dish and receiver, or combo) online, or at B&M stores. Or better still, is there a way to get the dish for free?

Thanks for your help. I really want to get this working soon![​IMG]

2. Bruce Patterson

Good post - you summed up my thoughts very well.

LOL on the signature!

3. Tyler DJW

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling to figure this out. You'd think that since HDTV subscribers are the ones who have to shell out $500 minimum for a receiver, they'd make sure the dish was free.

Someone out there must have advice... anyone? Bueller?

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I guess they figure if you're interested in getting hd and you already shelled out the money for an hd compatible tv and buying your own receiver, $100 or so for an hd dish isn't going to put you off.

However, it would be nice if they would offer some kind of deal.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Tyler,
    If you are an existing customer, you can call D* and threaten to quit. As soon as you get transferred to customer retention, they will start offering deals. The multi-sat dish from free+$16shipping to $49.99+$16shipping (both with free install). They may also offer you a credit up to $200 when you activate an HD receiver. The size of the deal depends on how long you have been a customer and your monthly programming level.

If you are a new customer, you can go through Blockbuster and get a one room system for $9 with a multi-sat dish. Just tell them you want the Para Tados dish for Spanish programming. You will have to pay for the HD receiver though. Most new customer deals usually have about $200-$250 of incentives built into them so they will never be giving away HD receivers.

-Robert

6. Tyler DJW

7. Bruce Patterson

Tyler,

Let me know what you find out - I can't get there before Friday.

Thanks!

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

9. Tyler DJW

Well I had better luck last night. Best Buy is currently giving the multisatellite dish for free with a two room installation when you buy an HD receiver (get a second SD receiver free).

Even better for me, Good Guys has a promotion until late July for the dish and HughesE86 for $500 (they charge $150 for the dish otherwise!).

SO in the end, I found what I wanted at two of the most obvious places to look (but nobody working in either store actually knew they had the deals... what a pain).

I guess the moral of the story is that it pays to check the websites and the physical stores separately, they rarely agree!

FYI, here's the response I got from DirecTV when I wrote to them yesterday. There's not much info, but at least they were quick to respond.

10. Rich Burns

Rich Burns Auditioning

I am in the same situation.

Does anybody know any good reason to wait til the new HD receivers are released? I've heard new ones to be out in July/August.