What's new

DirecTV w/TIVO: "Cannot Load Kernel" (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have a Sony SAT-T60 unit that displays the message in the subject line. I have had the T60 since it was introduced on the market. Sony sent this unit as a replacement for original unit that was stuck on the "we're almost there" message. The replacement unit has worked flawlessly until Sunday. It will only display the error message. No DirectTV or TIVO, just a black screen with the error message.

Can you transfer the lifetime from a Series 1 DirectTIVO to a Series 2 DirectTV w/ TIVO unit?

Hopefully, the message is an indication that the hard drive is dead as I was planning to replace it with a higher capacity drive anyway.

Has anyone experienced this error message?

Am I on the right track?

Or do I need to send it back to Sony ........ again?

DAGGONIT!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It sounds like the drive died. You can buy a drive and download a T60 image from a few guys over at Tivo Community or you can order a drive from a number of places.

I don't know if D* will allow you to transfer lifetime service since they don't offer it anymore. You may have to go through Sony to get an eligible replacement.

-Robert

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I've seen this error message before and if it doesn't clear by pulling the plug on the unit for a few minutes, it's likely you'll need to have the unit replaced. I'm afraid I don't know if just replacing the hard drive will help.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I have a virgin Sony T60 Software image if you need it.

Are you comfortable making tweaks yourself? If so, I can walk you through it.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Well, if you want to try some process of elimination before going to the full replacement install, you need to try the following:

1. Turf off the unit off for about five minutes by unplugging it.

2. If you plug it back in and get what appears to be a normal boot, immediately go to the setup menu and choose "Clear and Reset Everything"

Then, reboot again. This could do the trick, but you lose everything. :frowning:

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
As far as your lifetime subscription, it is tied to your DirecTV account so a new HDVR2 or SAT-T60 or other model DirecTV DVR Powered by TiVo would indeed have lifetime service. DirecTV made the announcement that lifetime is tied to the account and not the unit about 7 months ago or so.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread