DirecTV vs Dish Network & Tivo questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Kline, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

Step 1 of my HT Utopia right now is to upgrade to a satelite sytem. (Step 2 is a new DVD player or recorder and step 3 is my new HDTV in about 2 months [​IMG])

Right now I have digital cable, and I've been planning to switch to a satelite system for a while now. DirecTV and Dish Network are both offering some similar 3-room starter packages. I want to get 1 DVR and 2 normal boxes. DTV has it for $99, Dish has it for $49 but they refund it on your first bill so it's like it's free. Getting the "everything" programming package is I think $87 for DTV and $75 for Dish, I'm still leaning toward directv though even though it's more money, and I guess it's mostly because of it being "name brand" and basically what all the stores around here carry.

So, are there any other differences between the 2? Saving over $144 a year seems pretty nice for Dish. Do they all have the same channels? I'm planning to get a HDTV soon, so I will be upgrading to that when the time comes. Does Dish have Tivo, or is it their own service? Does it even matter? My DVR receiver will be in the TV room, but when I get the big HDTV that'll be going in the big living room, so will I be able to move the DVR box to somewhere else in the house and basically just swap the boxes? Do they have any HDTV receivers with Tivo built in?

And can I record saved programs onto a VHS tape or even better with a DVD recorder if I ever get one? Or even on my PC that has a DVDR drive? Will the quality be any good? Can I crack open the DVR and swap the hard drive with a bigger one that's like 250 gigs, or would that destroy it (I can build a PC from scratch so I'd know what I'm doing for the most part)? The main reason for this upgrade is my "digital" cable box can't even do s-video or optical audio, and that's at least what I want, to go with the rest of my system and get 5.1 audio for movies and stuff. My cable company says the only way for me to get that is to subscribe to their HDTV package but it's kind of limited and not even that good (a friend has it). So, any advice for someone about to get into satelite TV?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Tim Kline

Thanks for all the info. I've been doing a lot of reading too and now I think I'm just gonna go with DirecTV. Last question .... Should I just order it off their website, or go to a place like Best Buy or Tweeter to get it? I think they're all offering the 3 rooms free deal...

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

5. MorganT

MorganT Auditioning

DishNetwork's compression is a lot less lossy. I have DTV and my friend's DishNetwork looks way better. However, a lot of that depends on the receiver as well. You could always buy your own Tivo and use it with DishNetwork.

6. Tim Kline

One other question ... [​IMG] What does it take to install it? The 3 rooms free deal comes with free basic installation. Is that usually enough? I have a split level house, the bottom floor is the garage and behind that is the TV room. 1/2 a floor up is the kitchen, dining room and living room (another TV there) and above the garage is a bedroom where TV #3 will be. My best guess is the installer will have to get into the crawlspace (under the living room) to run the cables and to me it just seems like it's gonna be a real pain in the pills. So what does the free installation usually cover? Do people usually end up having to pay more? Or, can the installers just plug the dish into where my Cable TV hookup comes in and use those wires?

I'm gonna be getting the 1 DVR for the TV room, and eventually I plan to move that to the living room and the TV room will upgrade to a HD box when I get my HDTV in a few months, and then prolly put the extra regular box from the living room in another bedroom. It sounds to me like it's gonna be a love of install work both now and down the road. So, how free are these free 3 rooms gonna really be? [​IMG] I already know I gotta shell out $100 for the 1 DVR...what's else will there be?

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Looks like I found the right message thread here! [​IMG]

My stepdad has finally gotten tired of US$45 per month cable bills from Comcast and decided to get a satellite receiver system.

Only one problem: which is better, Dish Network or DirecTV? I believe DirecTV has slightly wider choice of programming, but I do believe that Dish Network has the low-cost DishPVR digital recorder system (my stepdad is NOT going to shell out the US$200 minimum for DirecTiVo [​IMG] ).

I'm going to talk with local satellite installers and see which offers the best deal. [​IMG]

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

10. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Robert_J,

Never mind. I just perused DirecTV's web site and decided to get DirecTV's Total Choice package instead. [​IMG]

Now, I got to find out how much it will cost for DirecTV Total Choice with two receivers, where one of the receivers is a 35-hour DirecTiVo unit. Help. [​IMG]

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Total Choice-$33.99
    Locals-$5.00
    Tivo fee-$4.99
    additional receiver fee-$4.99
    total-$48.97+taxes/month

I was a wrong on my previous post. Value Electronics has the DirecTivo for $39.99. They throw in up to four regular receivers for free.

-Robert

12. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Robert_J,

I do have one question though: will the DirecTiVo unit allow me to archive programs recorded on the TiVo unit onto a VCR? If I could, I am DEFINITELY in the market to get DirecTV with DirecTiVo. [​IMG]

13. Jason_A

Jason_A Stunt Coordinator

Go the DirectTV route. It will for the majority blow away your cable and probably at a cheaper rate and more channels.

Dish Network is a low end dish system. Even though it has the same type of stuff DirecTV has.

[​IMG]

HtPB

14. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

15. Tim Kline

Hmm... how can you connect it to your PC? (Or in my case a Mac) ... is it just a firewire cable? or does it have an ethernet port? I was going to get a DVD recorder to take care of recording what Tivo records, but if I can just copy stuff to my G5 and burn it that way it would be a lot easier for me.

16. MarkB

MarkB Extra

"Dish Network is a low end dish system. Even though it has the same type of stuff DirecTV has."

What exactly are you referring to with this statement? What makes Dish a "low end system"?

Mark

17. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

18. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

"Dish Network is a low end dish system. Even though it has the same type of stuff DirecTV has."

What exactly are you referring to with this statement? What makes Dish a "low end system"?

Mark

Exactly! Read this and tell me what makes either system 'low end'.

http://www.dish-network-vs-direct-tv...-direct-tv.htm

In fact, I can remember when DirecTV was working hard to catch up to Dish's technological edge. Now it's pretty much a level playing field.

19. Tim Kline

I'm actually leaning toward going with Dish network now. I'm planning to get a HDTV soon, would it be better off to go with the HDTV package for the more advanced receiver so I'm ready when I get the tv? If I do, will I have to pay for the HDTV channels too? Or can I just upgrade my package to include them when I get the TV? Or, do I even have to pay extra for them or are they automatically included? Their 3 room deal with 1 HD receiver seems pretty sweet.

20. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I would go DirecTV since Tivo's DirecTV DVR basically blows Dish PVR out of the water. Dual recording & much more smarter software. Dish has a dual tuner model but it is very expensive; they only offer their good deals on their single tuner model.

For the HD models, Dish's model supposedly will come out sooner but it's been delayed so long it may not. Also the Dish 921 is only 2sat/1 OTA tuner, so if two OTA shows air simultaneously you can only grab one of them. Tivo's will be 2 sat/2 OTA so you can record any combination of two shows.

I would not spend money on a non-PVR HD receiver now, even having an HDTV already. Without an HDTV it would be even more silly. I would rent HD box from my cable company if offered in my area, wait for the sat HD-PVRs, then make the switch (after comparing to cable HD-PVRs that are starting to trickle out).