Directv video/audio problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_W, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Patrick_W

Patrick_W Auditioning

I have a stupid question. I recently purchased a new Wega 27" tv and I've noticed that the picture quality on the local channels aren't as clear channels such as HBO or MTV. The picture quality changes from day to day. There are times when the picture is pixelized, the brightness and color tone would change slightly and the sound would sometimes cut out for a brief second. Sometimes the sound would cut out 5-10 times a day. I only notice this when I'm watching local channels. When watching dvds, the picture and sound is fine.

I have the RCA directv receiver hookup up with a coaxial cable to the vcr, and vcr to the tv. I tried connecting the satellite to my receiver but the sound still cuts out for a brief second sometimes. The picture quality is better when I connect it using a s video cable to the receiver but the brightness and color tone still changes. Has anyone experienced this? Is there something wrong with my tv, satellite receiver, or is it just the directv signal? I'm just worried that it might be the tv and that if I wait too long I won't be able to exchange it. Please help. Thanks.

2. Antonio_D

Antonio_D Agent

hi Patrick,i guess you have a problem with your TV.Well you said that the picture and the sound quality is not good on local channels.I suggest to try to plug the cable 75 OHM directly to your TV without passing by any other equipements.And try then to watch your local channels like then(because i think that degradation of colours and sound might be from your VCR).If the problem persists then call your TV provider and tell them to come check your cable.
    Then if nothing get better, you could probably change your TV cause you still have the warranty.

Hope this help,later.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Patrick,

There is some confusion in your post. You didn’t tell us how it is you are receiving your local channels. Some people get them on their dish, others get them from a TV antenna or local cable service.

Also, with conflicting phrases like “RCA DirecTV receiver“ and “connecting the satellite to my receiver“ it is unclear if you are talking exclusively about your satellite receiver, or if there is also an home theater audio receiver involved.

If you are getting the locals from an antenna or cable service, it appears the TV has a bad tuner section.

However, since you didn’t mention an antenna connection, and you note a pixelized situation, that indicates the problem is with the DSS system, not the television (it is impossible for an analog tuner to generate pixel problems, since that is only an issue with digital video).

The audio dropout suggests there might be a signal issue, so the first thing you should probably check is the signal strength from your dish. This can typically be done in the sat receiver’s menu. Also, verify that all cabling from the dish antenna to the receiver is sound, especially if there were on-site terminations of “F” connectors involved during the installation. Also, the complete signal path should be RG-6 cable , not RG-59.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

The problems that you're experiencing are due to DirecTV not your TV. I also have DTV and picture quality varies from channel to channel. MTV, TNN and CSPAN are usally offer the best picture quality DTV.

BTW I have a Sony Wega 36XBR400.

5. Patrick_W

Patrick_W Auditioning

Thanks Antonio and Wayne for your replies. Sorry about the confusion. I'm getting the local channels through directv. I have a home theater audio receiver and I tried connecting the satellite receiver to it to see if the problems would still persist.

Antonio, the picture is better when I connect the satellite receiver directly to the tv. What should I do if I want to record tv programs?

Wayne, I'm getting a signal strength of 91. I'm not sure about the cable (RG6 or RG59) or F connectors. My directv satellite was installed by Circuit City. Are the problems I'm having with the picture brightness and color tone be because of the dss system or the television? The picture color would become slightly saturated at times and the picture would become brighter. It is noticeable on flesh tones and anything red. It looks like someone messing around with the picture settings or something. Should I turn off the red push? The picture pixelation isn't really that bad that it is unwatchable but it seems like the picture quality should be better. Are the picture problems I'm experiencing common among satellite subscribers? Thanks for you help!

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Pattrick:
    There are something like 32 transponders that are used by DTV to send you signal. Go back to the DSS receiver and check all the transponder levels. Having said that, realize that some of the transponders are 'spotted' to specific regions and may not show a good signal strength. You might want to call DTV and ask them if they are having any problems, I think I heard somewhere that some of the transponders were acting up lately.

7. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit