DirecTV Users: why is HD HBO(509) not as clear as HDNet(199)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Kint, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I'm not impressed with HBO HD as much as HDNet. HDNet is so very clear and amazing, but HBO HD looks just like my DVDs at 480p. I have a Hughes E86 and it is outputting 1080i, but HBO HD just doesn't compare to HDNet. Is my setup wrong or is the source material just not that good? (On HBO HD I was wathcing Glass House, Ocean's Eleven, etc, and on HDNet the hockey games.)

2. Michael St. Clair

HBO is film, HDnet is tape. Digital tape looks sharper than telecined film, and is made from 60 unique fields instead of 24 slower frames every second. There is actually less resolution on the tape than on good 35mm film, but that doesn't always show through on 1080i.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In addition to Michael’s comments, a lot of what is shown on HBOH is not HD. Even many of the movies (e.g. Harry Potter) have been shown in 480p wide screen. It gets a bit confusing when you look at a wide screen picture on HBOH but you are seeing a SD picture.

Most of the original programming on HBOH is not in HD, with the exception of The Sopranos. Here the tipoff is the 4:3 format for shows like Sex and the City

I’ve never seen anything on HDNet that was not in HD.

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

To add my 2cents to what Michael and Lew said. HDNET use High Definition cameras to record their programming. HBO-HD and Showtime-HD broadcast a hodgepodge of various resolutions and aspect ratios. In effect simply airing programming in HD regardless of the quality of the original content.

5. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Hey Roger, what programming is is on hdnet? You said something about watching a hockey game. What game was it? Do they broadcast alot of high definition hockey games in 1080i? If they do I might just have to go out and get an hdtv decoder. I have an hdtv but have held off on the purchase of an hdtv receiver due to the lack of programming and the games that HBO and Showtime play with thier broadcasts. Like someone said, I heard that they do not show alot of movies in true 1080i format.

7. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

8. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit