Directv to PC recording

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SalMaglie, Jan 24, 2002.

1. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if I'm stepping on copywrite laws or violating forum rules, but here goes anyway. I'd like to burn some CD-Rs off of my Directv music channels if possible. I have 60 gigs of hardrive space and a CD-RW drive so I'm looking for a way to hook up my computer to the dish receiver and record off of it. Would all it take to do that is a TV tuner card? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

A TV tuner wouldn't work because it couldn't decode the incoming satellite signal. The only way I can see this working is to record it via analog outs from the TV to your sound card. Some quality will be lost, for sure, but it'll work.

There's a product on the horizon (forget the name) that incorporates a CD burner into a DirecTV tuner/Tivo type box. I would assume you could burn a CD directly from the source with that item.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

>>I don't know if I'm stepping on copywrite laws or violating forum rules, but here goes anyway. I'd like to burn some CD-Rs off of my Directv music channels if possible. I have 60 gigs of hardrive space and a CD-RW drive so I'm looking for a way to hook up my computer to the dish receiver and record off of it. Would all it take to do that is a TV tuner card? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Well as long as you are recording audio only, which is hard to tell from your note, all you will need is a DirecTv receiver with a digital output and an audio card in your computer with a digital input. That works for audio only.

Of course if you had a stand alone CD recorder you could do this even easier as long as your DirecTv receiver has a digital output.

Glenn

4. SalMaglie

Thanks Camp and Glenn for the info. Yes I just want to record the audio off of the music channels in the 800s. I've already done some using my hifi VCR just to have some background music for my bedroom system. I was just hoping I could find an easy way to do some CD-R recordings through my computer. My dish receiver is a Sony B50, and I don't think it has any digital outputs, or does it?
    I knew I could get at it easier through a stand alone piece of strictly audio euqipment like this one from Marantz but I thought I might be able to do it cheaper through my computer. Around $100 for a sound or TV tuner card is what I was hoping for, but that doesn't sound feasible from what you're saying.

5. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi again,

Well you don't have to have digital outputs to record the audio from DirecTv. You can do it via analog outputs going into a computer audio. It won't be as good of quality as the digital would be but it might be good enough depending on what you plan to use it for. For background music or use in a car using analog would be fine for most people.

I am not familar with your Sony DirecTv receiver so I don't know if it has digital outputs or not. Maybe someone else will pipe in with that info?

Glenn

6. SalMaglie

Thanks again for the input. I would be satisfied with just an analog copy if I can get it, and I'm not looking for anything more than 2 channel stereo. unlike it's sibling, the A-50, the 4th generation Sony B-50 isn't capable of digital output. There's nothing but analog outputs on the back of the receiver via RCA plugs, although there is a mysterious looking female 9 pin serial port on the back that's labled "low speed data". I also understand that there is some dynamic range compression from the Music Choice channels, but that doesn't bother me all that much since this'll be for a relatively stock car stereo or background music.

I thought recording to a CD-Writer would be viable since I've already recorded to a Hifi VCR and was satisified with the sound? FWIW, my software is Nero 5.5.4.3 which came with the CD-Writer. So what sound card could you recommend for my "dirty" recordings?

7. SalMaglie

Thanks Buzz. Before I go off to buy the sound card, are there any hardware compatiblity issues that you know of using the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz on a Cascade III GVC 810E DR742E motherboard with a Celeron 667 mhz CPU?