DirecTV to 3 TVs - How do I do it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Frank, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

Question from a newbie - love the forum!

I currently have a dual-LMB dish going to my 2 DirecTV receivers on my 2 TVs.

I want to add a 3rd TV for the kids that will mostly be used for watching videos and playing video games, but also want the ability to watch DirecTV sometimes.

I "think" my options are (1) Add a 3rd receiver and share the signal with one of the other TVs, meaning that channels on those TVs would always be the same. (2) I could probably even get by with no 3rd receiver as long as I went into the next room to change channels. (3) Get a third DirecTV signal and receiver - I assume this would mean adding a second dish?

Does this sound right to everyone? Has anyone ever been through this before?

Mark Frank

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

All you need is a 3rd receiver and a multi-switch box. You can get these at any electronics store like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc..

Jeff

3. Mark Frank

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff!

Since I've never heard of a multi-switch, does your solution give me option (1) or (3)? Will 2 of the TVs always be on the same channel?

Mark Frank

4. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Hi Mark,
    Using a Multi-Switch splitter will allow you to have up to 4 receivers running off of a dual-LNB dish. Each TV will run sep. so you won't have to watch the same things on each tv.
    Here is a link on BestBuy.com's website for their multi-switch
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.aspe=1...1767&scat=1770
    Jeff

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    A multi-switch will give you option 3 without buying a new dish. Each reciever will operate independently. Here are some multi-switches. Even the cheapest will work. Just ignore the 3rd (antenna) input.
    BTW, have you checked out the DirecTivos? Good prices and great features.
    -Robert

6. Mark Frank

Thanks for the follow-up Jeff. I will definitely check one of these out shortly.

Robert, funny you should mention a DirecTivo unit. I'm currently trying to talk the spouse into letting me buy one. Since I have a computer tech background, I'd be interested in upgrading the hard drive in one of these units. Is it easy to do?

-Mark

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Mark,
    Watch out with the Tivo. I have a stand-alone Tivo. For the first 2 weeks my wife hated it. Then once she figured it out,...Wham!!!! Suddenly she took control of it and we were getting in fights about all the crap she was recording. The DirecTivos are even better since they have 2 tuners built in.
    Go over to the avsforum and check out the Tivo section. It'll have all the answers you need.
    http://www.avsforum.com
    Jeff

8. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

For the record, I am using the $30 180-545 unit from the Parts Express link provided by Robert_J above. Works like a dream. I am running 4 receivers and all have independant control.

N

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

10. Mark Frank

Neil,

Do all four DirecTV receivers need to be plugged into phone lines?

Also, do you get charged the extra $5.99/month per receiver for the 3rd and 4th receivers when using the multi-switch? Or is DirecTV none the wiser?

-Mark

11. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

The multi-switches have inputs for a dual LNB. In my situation, I am feeding one line into my son's room and the other into the living room. I picked up a DirecTV receiver with the UltimateTV. I only need to split the signal once at the receiver. Can I just feed the one line into one of these multi-switches (preferably somewhere near the $20-$25 range) and have it work properly?

12. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

14. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

15. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

OK, let's see if we can get it straight between me and Ben [​IMG] For DirecTV to not charge you the full subscription price for each additional receiver, it has to be plugged into the same phone line as your primary receiver when you call to activate it. They will ask you to force a phone call at that time.
    You can probably unplug your receiver afterwards and see what happens -- maybe they'll never ask you to plug it back in.

16. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

My experience is this:

The instructions for the receiver and the Directv Website say the receivers must all be permanently connected to a phone line so that the secondary receivers can mirror the primary receiver (to avoid full charges). When I activated my second receiver several years ago I said it was connected to a phone line but it was not. The receiver activated just fine and I've never had a problem. When I added my third and fourth a few weeks ago, I did connect them to a phone line just while I was getting them activated. I bet I could have just said they were connected without having a problem.

Because of a few change arounds in equipment, the receiver I have registered as the primary unit with Directv is NOT connected to a phone line, one secondary receiver is and the remaining two secondaries are not. Conclusion, you do NOT need the receivers permanently connected to a phone line (unless of course, you want to do pay-per-view via the remote and not over the phone).

BTW, I was not asked to force a phone call at the time of activation.

I pay $4.99 per additional receiver I think.

N

17. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

18. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator