What's new

Directv,Tivo want HDTV (1 Viewer)

Frank*M

Auditioning
I have a HDTV ready unit with Directv and Tivo.
It looks like I need to pay a fortune to get both HDTV and Tivo with Directv.
Is this right or am I MISSING SOMETHING?
I don't want to go to cable, but I may have to if the prices don't come down.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HR10-250 (aka HD DirecTivo) is available from online retailers for around $870. DirecTV has been offering programming discounts of up to $250 to very good customers through their customer retention department. That brings the total cost down to $620. That seems resonable since it is the equivalent of two non-pvr HD receivers and a 250GB hard drive.

A lot of us use the DirecTivo and a regular D* HD receiver. I record everything on the DirecTivo and watch HD live if I happen to be in front of the TV when a show is on.

-Robert

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Paul's statements! I switched from 6 years of DirecTV (4 with DirecTivo) to Comcast a few weeks ago. The deal breaker was when Comcast released the Motorola 6214 (Dual Tuner HD DVR). The interface is not as nice as Tivo but it does perform all the basic functions and many of the "nicer" functions of my beloved DirecTivo.

I got the same $25 16-month discount on my monthly bill as well as a decent discount on the High Speed internet I was already using from Comcast.

I'm loving having a HD-DVR. The Moto does have some early bugs to work out. The menu freezes occasionally and there are some markets where the DVR confuses which channel to record when there is a HD and SD version of the same channel. The searching functions are not as intuitive. Comcast just released a new version of the firmware last week to some test markets and people state many of the issues are fixed.

The Moto does have some nice features:
Shows how full the HD is.
Allows you to see what will be recorded on any given day.
You can sort your recorded programs by Date or Title.
You can continue to view the current program in a PIP window while working with the DVR menu.

Once DirecTV works through the MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 conversion issues I'll give them another look. (Hopefully they will have better incentive plans to bring people over from cable.) That should conincide nicely with the 16 month discount comcast gave me.

Winston L

Grip
It seems that DirecTV is now selling the HD DVR directly (rather than sending you to third parties). Does anyone know if they offer a better price now than the $850-$1000 that third parties were asking?

Also, my biggest concern is having to sacrifice an arm or a leg for installation of the new dish (for HD reception), rooftop antenna for over the air, running another line to the DVR for the antenna - and running a new line to another TV which will be the beneficiary of my existing low def Tivo.

I would hope that DirecTV would offer a deal on the whole package to get me paying for HD service for the next few years. But I don't want to call back 5 times to the customer retention department to find out in drips and drabs, causing lots of notes to my "file", etc.

So, anyone with recent experience with them on this? Got other installation solutions? (Local Tweeter wanted arm+leg - cable not an option as the wife has to have Philadelphia Eagles games).

Thanks from a newbie here.

Winston L

Grip
Yep, I have considered hooking up both cable and satellite (heck, I have Road Runner and basic cable already).

At the least, I guess I could get the current HD service without TiVo. Just can't record the HD.

At this rate, looks like I'm a year away from the HD DVR (and then it won't be Tivo, probably).

Thanks much for the help.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hi David WS,

I'm also interested about the Motorola 6214 (Dual Tuner HD DVR). What programming package did you get? Can it record non-local HD program like Discovery, ESPN etc? What wire connects this 6214 to your HDTV set? Are there any firewire port on that DVR?

Thanks,

Neil

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The model number on the Motorola is actually "6412". Programming package varies by region. It records all cable HD, there is no distinction between local & non-local on a cable system once it gets out of the headend. You can connect to TV via component or DVI-HDCP. There is also firewire for recording to D-VHS or PC when allowed.

I find it rather buggy compared to Tivo. But Tivo won't be able to do dual tuner / HD on cable until next year, and until then it's good enough to rent.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
I wish someone knows what quality is sent out the firewire output. I hope it's still raw and not downgraded. I'm thinking about this because of the July 1 Broadcast Flag. I'm thinking of dumping that to a pc. What do you think?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
There's no good way to downres via firewire; these boxes don't the hardware to re-encode HD. If they don't want you to archive, they can just turn on the appropriate 5C flags to prevent it.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
How about comcast, do they have the rights of downgrading the quality before it gets sent out their wire? Coz if that's the case, what's the point of having HDTV. These companies are suppressing us from getting raw HDTV. Aren't still they happy with their standard cable for $45? :) so if you add $5 for HDTV signal multiplied by 36 million people here in America, WOW :D that would be roughly $180,000,000 million dollars per month. Sometimes, people just think that $5 is a small amount. Of course, 36 million are not all subscribed to comcast. Anyways, it's just that people don't realize what they should be really getting. This is just how I feel. :frowning:

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about my signature. It's been there since 2003. I was a very active poster in Speakers and Subwoofers forum on this same site. Thanks for fixing it.

David WS

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, thanks for answering Ronneil questions. I've been MIA for a few weeks, busy at work. ;-)

BTW. Comcast and Tivo have finally signed a deal. The belief is that in late 2006 Comcast will roll out software supplied by Tivo for the Moto boxes. If they get it right, it will be the best of both worlds.

1) Rent the Hardware from Comcast and avoid the fear of crashed drives and locking yourself into $1000 worth of hardware you won't want to change when a new/better system comes out.
2) We get the great Tivo interface. (Which I still miss a little...)

MarkN

Stunt Coordinator
Great info!

Considering making the switch to HD but haven't because of the lack of an HD DVR until recently...guess I am out of excuses now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks