What's new

DirecTV Tivo Multiswitch Question.... (1 Viewer)

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
I have an oval dish, for which i'm not too sure where the switch is in order for me to receive the feeds from the two different birds. All that I know is that I have two wires coming in from outside (the installer nicely hid the wires so I can't see what's goin on ther)that I hook to my hdtv and the other wire goes to the bedroom.

I recently purchased a tivo receiver, but when I try to use the multiswitch (hooking each feed into sat1 and sat2) the receiver says it can't find the "right side" or something like that of the bird. Without the switch, each feed can be sent to the different tvs with no problem, but when I go through the switch it is a no go.

I'm using a Terk multiswitch with two inputs and four outputs. I have two feeds coming in, of course, and then three out; two going to the Tivo (which goes to the hdtv) and the other one to the bedroom.

Isn't this the same thing as going direct into both? Why does the multiswitch not work?

Any help appreciated. thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All that I know is that I have two wires coming in from outside
A good installer should have run all four wires inside for future use.

You don't need a switch. You need to run the other two lines from your dish to which ever location has your DirecTivo.

-Robert

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, Robert.

Which other two are you referring to? Right now, I have both feeds connected to the DirecTivo, but now I can't use the 2nd t.v. That's why I wanted to use the multiswitch, so I could have all three connections. 2 to the tivo, one to the other t.v.

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, Robert.

Which other two are you referring to? Right now, I have both feeds connected to the DirecTivo, but now I can't use the 2nd t.v. That's why I wanted to use the multiswitch, so I could have all three connections. 2 to the tivo, one to the other t.v.

When both feeds are connected directly to the tivo it works fine, but then I don't have a connection to the other tv.

Is there any way to do this (using only the two feeds that come inside) rather than go up to the dish to correct?

Thanks again.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have a multi-sat dish with the switch not visible, you will have 4 outputs from it. Only the very early multi-sat dishes had two outputs and they had a switch mounted on the back of the dish that was visible.

Is there any way to do this (using only the two feeds that come inside) rather than go up to the dish to correct?
If can't physically get two more cables into the house, then there is a way using a pair of stackers at the dish, splitters, 4 de-stackers and another 4x4 switch inside the house. It will cost about $700. Any other way and you will lose the signals from the 110 and 119 satellites.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks