DirecTV/Tivo/HDTV - When?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

Is there any timeframe for a unit that combines all three of these pieces. I want Satellite HDTV but not at the expense of losing Tivo.

2. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Just get both! That's what we did. I have a Hughes HDTV/DirecTV satellite receiver, AND a Hughes DirecTiVo unit that has dual tuner.

The only downside is that you have to choose whether you want to watch HDTV or TiVo. And if you are watching through the HD Satellite, and decide you want to record something, you have to switch to the other.

But with my setup, I can record 2 shows at the same time on the TiVo unit and be watching a 3rd show through the HD sat receiver! My wife and I love it!

-Richard

3. Gregg Hart

So you must have 3 separate cables coming from your Sat Dish to your 2 different receivers? Then would you have to switch to different video inputs on your TV depending on what you are watching? I guess that would work. Never thought of it.

Could I use a coax splitter to send the signal to each unit or do I have to run separate cables from the Dish?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Moving this thread to Audio/Video Sources.

5. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

That's correct - three cables coming in - 1 to the HD Sat, and the other two to the DirecTiVo.

And yes, we have to switch video sources. My HD Sat uses one component video input on my HDTV, and the Tivo unit uses another component video input.

BUT...with the Philips Pronto which I just bought and finished programming, switching inputs is no longer an issue. I absolutely LOVE that remote! If you don't have a universal remote, you have to check out remotecentral.com.

Have fun!

-Richard

6. Gregg Hart

I have the Pronto, however my TV doesn't have discreet codes for video inputs so I have to toggle between all 7 inputs to switch. KNowing that I can do waht you have done, I will go out and get a HDTV decoder now. Yipee.

7. Michael J K

Michael J K Stunt Coordinator

What happens if you try to record an HDTV signal? Does the TIVO record anything? Does it record a regular signal? Is it 16x9?

8. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

All these workaround solutions are the very reason why I won't go HDTV until there's an HD PVR. I will not give up timeshifting with TiVo-like convenience.

I will give my hard-earned cash to the first company that offers an HD PVR. TiVo, Replay, whatever.

-Mike...

9. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Greg Hart- what tv do you have? some brands, like toshiba, will go directly to "TV" when you hit channel up or down. if you program a button for "channel up" then "input up" you go to input 1, "channel up" "input up" "input up" takes you to input 2...