Directv/Tivo/HDTV help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DePeri, Sep 30, 2002.

1. John DePeri

John DePeri Auditioning

I am an "expert novice" when it comes to home theater. Currently I have a three year old sony directv, but I do own a SonyXBR 400. I am interested in upgrading to a HDTV SAT receiver, but would also like to integrate PVR in the mix. Is there an all in one unit for this? Should I go with a direc/tivo and an HDTV receiver, or a HDTV SAT receiver and a stand alone PVR? I'm mildly overwhelmed trying to research all this and would appreciate some "expert" help.[​IMG]

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. John DePeri

John DePeri Auditioning

Robert-
    Thanks. I live in Jacksonville, and I am told that we will be getting locals on the SAT in November. So it probably makes sense to get the direct/tivo. However, I still want to be able to receive HD signals. Any way to integrate that?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I use a DirecTivo to record everything I want to watch. If I happen to be in front of the TV and a show is in HD, I watch it on the Hughes E86 receiver. If not, I'll watch it later on the Tivo. You can record OTA HD using an HD tuner card in your computer and most people have a dedicated computer just for recording.

-Robert

5. John DePeri

John DePeri Auditioning

Educate me here (please)
    Basically, you have separate inputs from your dish to the HD receiver and the directivo, and you switch back and forth depending on whether you happen to be sitting there watching it "live"?
    Can you record HD to your tivo?
    TIA, I appreciate your responses.[​IMG]

6. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Unfortunatly no TiVo at this time can record HDTV. [​IMG] I think the market is just to small, the drive sizes needed are available 120 GB would give about 20 Hrs of recording time, but it would only record HDTV standard encoding. There is a thread on the TiVo community forum about HDTV here : http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=77684
    BTW the new series 2 DTiVo will be out mid Oct, CC is taking preorders for $189 heres a thread about that:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=77948
    Hope this helps

7. John DePeri

John DePeri Auditioning

Thanks Mark-
    If I have a Directivo and an HD receiver, do I need two separate lines from the satellite dish, and as a result, two separate inputs into the TV?

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You need three separate lines from the dish. Two for the DirecTivo (dual tuner) and one for the HD receiver. Also two inputs to the TV. I have my HD receiver and progressive scan DVD player on two of my component inputs and my DirecTivo and VCR on my s-video and composit inputs of my Mitsu.

-Robert

9. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit