Directv + Tivo, A question about Dobly digital and non-digital channels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryon_M, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

Hi all, first post.
    First off I want to take this time to say thanks for all the amazing information you guys have provided me. This is my first post simply because of the vast amount of information currently available.
    On to the question, I've been building my first real HT system. My receivers is that HK avr125, which I'm really enjoying, my new jbl nsp1 speakers will be here this week [​IMG] Anyways I hooked up my directv/tivo system optical output and tuned in a Dolby Digital station, it worked great and I was quite pleased. The problem comes when I'm not watching a DD station my receiver switches to it's "No Surroud sound" option, which is basically just the front 2 speakers (+sub when I get it). Up to this point I have been using the Pro Logic II Movie setting for all of my viewing. I'm wondering if I should just live with the No Surround Sound option for all the other channels or just disconnect the optical and use analog for everything and set it to Pro Logic II.
    Just really curious what everyone would do in this situation.

2. Mike Poindexter

Mike Poindexter Stunt Coordinator

You should also run the analog connection to your receiver as well and switch your receiver from the digital connection to the analog for DPLII on non 5.1 movies.

I am assuming here that you cannot use DLPII on DD2.0 stations...

Mike

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Bryon,

I'm using an Ultimatetv Directv receiver along with my Pioneer 811 A/V receiver and I have it hooked up via Optical audio only and have no problem receiving ProLogicII surround from all the Directv NON DD5.1 channels. The receiver switches modes when there's no DD5.1 signal.

I only connected the DTV analog audio to my VCR's input to record stuff on occasion. I don't connect the analogs to my Pioneer at all..strictly Optical audio connection.

Your receiver should be detecting which signal is being transmitted and switch to the appropriate mode. Is your HK set to "auto detect"?

Hopefully you can solve this ...I can't think of anything else that would cause you to go to 2 channel mode.

Alfer

4. Bryon_M

Bryon_M Extra

I have to contend with the wife factor here so I have to make it easy to switch between optical and analog if I do it. I need to play with my universal remote to see if this is possible.

Yep the HK is set to auto-detect, which is default and I'm not for sure if I can make it not do it. The instructions for the receiver are poor at best. I sent an email off to HK support but I'm not expecting good returns on that.