What's new

Directv receiver quality (1 Viewer)

Tom Trz

Agent
I received my new Hitachi 51swx20b yesterday and immediately played a widescreen dvd...awesome!!!! I have a hd directv dish...and have tried a philips and rca non-hd receiver...the picture quality is not very good on 4:3 material..even unstretched...I have ordered the samsung sir-ts160 hd tuner....will this more expensive tuner help the picture quality of non-hd material....it is very disappointing...I know its not hd but I expected better. Any opinions are appreciated......

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
will this more expensive tuner help the picture quality of non-hd material
Probably not. I'm running a Hughes E86 into a Mitsu WS55411. Stretched or unstretched, I see compression artifacts. It's better since I did a quick adjustment of the picture controls but I still see artifacts. I'll be doing a full calibration with VE this evening. I'm lucky that the Memphis locals on the satellite aren't being overly compressed. They actually look better than some of the movie channels. Also the OTA digital channels look really good even on upconverted programs.

On the other hand, HD is awsome. I watched the Olympic figure skating last night and some nature scenes after it on HD-Net and the picture was perfect.

-Robert

Tom Trz

Agent
Robert,..thanks for the reply.....are you happy with your Mits? My new Hitachi started having contrast/brightness/darkening issues last night and is getting worse...I am getting a replacement but am now spooked...I shopped for 6 months before pulling the trigger....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks