DirecTV questions...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Holyoke, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Well, I'm moving into my 1st apartment in a couple weeks, and would like to go with DirecTV, but have to make sure of a couple things first.

I have an apartment facing south, and I guess we just have to fill out another stupid form to get permission to have a dish, but I'm not sure about the trees that may be in the way. I don't know how to describe it, but there are mature trees about 150' or so from the apt. The trees are kind of on a bank, so they probably end up being 75' high or so. If I were to put an angle on it, I'd say that the trees block from the ground to about 30 degrees up. I don't know how else to describe them. They are straight south of the apt.

Anyways, my question is, obviously - will this be a problem for the dish? How clear of a sight-line do I need?

I was also wondering if I should get the 2 room package for free (I don't want/can't afford the PVR), or if I'd be better off just buying one and not being locked into the 1 year agreement or whatever it is? FYI my lease is 9 months, and may or may not be living there again after the 9 months. Just looking for some help/advice, thanks a lot for any you can provide [​IMG]

Tim

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

You might indeed have a problem with trees that high. If you are in Wisconsin, the satetllites you need to get a signal from will be pretty low in the sky. I am in New England, and my antenna is only pointing slightly higher than 30 degrees. If you go to DirecTV you can get the coordinates for your antenna at your location. There are other sites on the web to get these coordinates from as well.

Trees will definitely block the signal and make it unusable if they are in the line of site between the satellite and your dish.

SMK

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

If you're getting DirecTV, I definately recommend adding the Playboy channel. It's only $15 a month.

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I have a tree that is blocking my dish but it doesn't seem to affect it any....I guess there are enough gaps?? The line of sight is actually a little to the SE from where I am....don't know about Wisconsin. So to answer your question, I do not think you need an absolutely, 100% clear shot as long as it isn't a solid obstruction.