DirecTV question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I am looking into DirecTV. I was looking into the channel lineups. What about ABC and CBS, etc??

I look online and it says local channels are not available in my area. I dont really care about local news or anything, I just wanna make sure I can get FRIENDS and SURVIVOR. So can I get someone OTHER AREA's NBC?

Also, I have a Sony Trinitron (Non-HD), will DirecTV have a clearer picture than my Digital Cable?

thanks

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Anthony,

Most of those channels are local and you will need to call DirecTV in your area to find out if those channels are available or if they are blacked out. Some areas can receive and some cannot.

KyleS

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Anthony ... to get your local channels, just get a nice antenna. You just shut the receiver off and you'll have your local stations. Is this an option, or are you out in the middle of timbuktu?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since Gainesville doesn't have LIL (local into local) you have a couple of options.

1. Sign up for DirecTV and get them to send waivers to your local stations. If the local stations agree to the waivers you will be able to get the network stations from New York. Lately local stations have been denying all satellite waivers.

2. If your OTA signal stength is not good, ask for a signal test. If you have a low signal, you will automatically be granted waivers and the stations will have to pay for the test. If you have a "good enough" signal, you will have to pay for the test. Details are on the FCC web site.

3. Do what most people in your situation do, "move". Sign up for D*. A week later call them and give them a bogus address in a nearby town that has their locals on D*. Find a two story apartment building and give them an address on the third floor. The day after you move, go on to the D* web site and change your billing address back. This isn't stealing since you will be paying for the D* service.

-Robert

5. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

thanks to all.

I think ill try an antenna. How much do these run?