What's new

DirecTV question (1 Viewer)

ChrisW

Auditioning
I currently have 3 TVs at my house (one upstairs in my bedroom, one in the living room on the main floor, and the new one in my basement). Since I live alone, I won't ever need more than 2 different channels on at the same time. I am curious to know if there is any way around having to pay the extra $5/month for the third receiver. It's been suggested to split one and run it to the basement. The problem with this is that it would be split from the living room TV, and this is the one that needs the ability to tune to a different channel.

So does DirecTV automatically charge you for another receiver when you call to activate your new card? Or can I have the three receivers and just be able to tune to 2 different channels?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's no way around the mirror fee on the third receiver. I had my old system set up with two receivers feeding a modulator. Both receivers were connected directly to the best TV (in the living room). They were also connected to a Sony MRD-D1 channel modulator. (It's discontinued but ChannelPlus 3025 is similar) The modulator fed the rest of the TVs in the house. Each TV had the ability of watching either receiver.

-Robert

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Have you thought of hooking up a wireless system? I using the Leapfrog system from Terk and it works great. I have Leapfrog transmitters hooked to both of my Direct TV receivers and I have Leapfrog receivers hooked to my TV’s in my computer room, the guest room, the garage, and kitchen TV’s. I have both transmitters set to a different channel so that my guests or I can watch two different channels at the same time. Another good thing about the Leapfrog system; it allows your remotes to work from all the rooms you have receivers in to the room you have your transmitters in. Only one big drawback so far; the use of a microwave or cordless phone interferes with the wireless signal when in use.

ChrisW

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestion! How would you compare the video via the wireless transmission vs. a direct connection? I'm definitely going to look into this.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
You can use an aftermarket RF device (legally) to slave a room to an exsiting receiver. D* used to sell a 3 room system enabled this way but discontinued doing so. Now you have to buy an aftermarket setup (or used D* SD RF receivers) to rig it. My Mom has the D* sold receiver which just includes 1 RF capable of 3 remotes, to use with one of the 2 receivers. (Therefore for 3 rooms of Satilite she only pays one 5 fee for a 2nd receiver) You run a coaxial line from the 'main' receiver to the 'slaved' room split just after the main reciever. The drawback: both TV's will mirror the channel the single receiver (in your main room) is on.

In your home; If I was to run this setup I'm assuming you already have a reciever in the bed upstairs. I would slave the Basement to that room, since it is more likely that you would have company who would might wish to tune the TV's in basement and Liv seperatly. My Mom left her main system (liv #1 ) stand-a-lone. And tied her bed to her (den #2) When the whole family is in residence, it is more likely that the Den and Liv TVs will be in use and need to be tuned seperatly. (whosever in her bed room just plays video games or watches what the Den is tuned to)

However it could take you 4 1/2 yrs to recoup the cost of slaving a system. If the RF device runs 260.00 (one aftermarket I glanced at sold by Ult. Electronics) I don't know if there are less expenisve versions on the market. Divide 5 into 260. Four years before you start seeing the savings of 5 a month. For her it worked nicley, since she got a new subscriber deal for $99 for the 3 room setup. Which included the 2 Receivers and 3 remotes and dish. So she pretty much had instant savings right away on slaving the 3rd room.

Something like the Leapfrog may be more cost effective over long term depending on inital investment.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
One Leapfrog system (1 transmitter/1 receiver) runs approx $100 at places like Circuit City here in California, but can usually be found on Ebay for around $59. The picture and sound quality of the system is pretty good. Everyone who has seen my system didn't know they were watching a wireless signal until I told them. If you decide to get a Leapfrog setup don't get the one that sends the signal over your phone lines though, get the one that sends the signal by RF. You can also go to Terk's website at www.terk.com and look for retailers who carry the systems

ChrisW

Auditioning
I think the Leapfrog system is probably the best for my situation. I found it at Amazon, BB, CC, and Target for $100. The LF-30S also has the remote transmitter built in. I think I'll have the two receivers in the living room and basement, and send the wireless signal to the bedroom. The bedroom TV is not used too often; I just don't want a snowy signal or popping in the audio.

Thanks again for the suggestion. There's a couple other people I know that may also pick this up.

Chris

ChrisW

Auditioning
I bought the LF-30S at Best Buy over the weekend. I set it up, and so far no go. When the receiver is broadcasting, is the light on the front supposed to stay on? It flashes on when I turn it on and off, and sometimes it comes on faintly while on. I don't ever see the light on the receiver. I'm going to try it again, but maybe I just got a bad set.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks