What's new

Directv promotion and HDTV (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I want to install the Directv system for 2 rooms. Since they have the promotion of 2 rooms installed, I thought that I could just buy the package and replace the standard dish with HDTV compatible dish. I have HDTV monitor, but not the HDTV receiver yet.

I went to Circuit City and the sales person said that I can not just swap the standard dish with HDTV dish even though I'm willing to pay for the difference. If I want HDTV, then the promotion is not valid anymore (no standard installation, rebate, etc). Is it correct? What is the best way to get a directv that's HDTV compatible? I thought the promotion is for "any" directv system? I just want the HDTV compatible satellite so if I decide to get HDTV receiver later, I dont have to change the satellite. Is there any package out there for this kind of configuration? Please advise....

Thanks.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
Rachmat,

If you want the oval, dual satellite, HDTV compatable dish, my advice is to get your DirecTV system installed using the current promotion running at Blockbuster. For $25, you get a DirecTV system, free installation, and one years worth of DVD rentals at Blockbuster. But what really makes this a good deal, is that you can tell Blockbuster you want the "Para Todos" programming package and they will install the oval HDTV compatable dish at no extra charge.

The "Para Todos" programming package includes the Spanish language channels which are only available on the 119 satellite. But you don't really have to subscribe to the Spanish language channels when you activate your DirecTV account after the dish is installed. Just make sure you request the "Para Todos" package at Blockbuster when you sign up and you will get the HDTV compatable dish at no extra charge.

I recently had a DirecTV system installed this way. I put the receiver from Blockbuster in the bedroom, and purchased a DirecTivo receiver separately for $99 which I put in the main system in the living room. I am very happy with this setup and will be able to use the oval dish to receive the HDTV programming on the 119 satellite when I am ready. The only thing to be aware of is you might have to pay the installer an extra $40 or $50 for the extra cable run to the second room, since the Blockbuster package only covers a one room installation. But this is still cheaper than the $150 most places charge for the oval dish, and you do get the one years worth of DVD rentals - although I must admit I haven't watch many DVD's since my DirecTivo was installed.

Cary

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
I too would recommend going to Blockbuster for the DirectTV install with the Para Todos package. Make sure you get the the Para Todos package because when I ordered I mistakenly got the round dish. Once I realized it I cancelled it but you have to wait 7 days before you can try and order again. I don't know why it takes 7 days to clear from DirectTV's computer system but that's how long it takes. Plus they can't change the package number on the order. That's why I'm going back this Monday.
But for 2 rooms it's $99 and with one year worth of DVD rentals. Also the item number from Blockbuster is 822835 for Para Todos 2 room install, 822833 for the round dish. Here is the Link Removed .

Cary P, JeromeS,
Thank you so much for the advice. I went to blockbuster yesterday and signed up for the 2 rooms Para Todos. Total cost is $99 and they gave 53 free rentals...:D
Before that I went to BestBuy and they said that I have to buy the satellite separately as well as the extra receiver which will cost around 300 dollars on top of the 99 dollars. Wonder why things are different from places to places..

I keep trying to sign up for this, but the website has an internal server error and the phone always rings busy.
I guess this is a good deal :)
Anthony

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea why it is so different from place to place. I called Circuit City and the Good Guys and both wanted $150 extra for the oval dish. I also called DirecTV and their price was $133 for either round or oval dish install for 2 rooms. Like they say, it pays to shop around.

Now if only the new HDTV decoders from Zenith or Samsung will come out soon. I am so tempted to buy the Toshiba DST-3000 just to watch the Masters this weekend.

Steve_AA

Agent
Since I already have a Tosh. DST-3000 to receive OTA HD stations, I signed up for the Blockbuster 1-room system last Fri($30). I asked for the Para Todos package and this afternoon, the installer pulled up with the oval dish, installed the cheapie Hughes receiver in the bedroom and I activated a 1-room Total Choice package. After he left, I hooked up the DST-3000 to the dish, called to activate the 6-month old card, and in a few minutes I was watching a HDNet hockey game...about 2 hrs had passed from when the installer arrived. (Of course I already had most of the RG-6 the cabling already done, so all he had to do was run a 15' run of cable from the attic to the bedroom.)

I couldn't be more pleased with how everything went. DTV also gave me 3 months free HBO and Cinemax. WooHoo!

Good luck on your installation.

JeromeS

Stunt Coordinator
By the way DirecTV is having a promotion of $50 back on programming for your first bill when you get a 2 room system until 4/20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks