Directv Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donovan, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Donovan

Donovan Agent

Hey everyone, I recently had Directv with 3 boxes installed in my townhouse. It was working great until maybe the 2nd day, when the first instance of the "searching for signal" message popped up. Then the Directv would be out for about an hour, and this would happen 3-4 times a day. Sometimes the picture would be fine, but the sound drops out for days on end. Signals strength reads 92. Also, I checked the line of sight in my backyard, and nothing is in the way. It happens rain or shine, windy or calm, hot or cold. Is there a setting I can change, or should I call the installers back? Thanks in advance.

Donovan

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It happens to a few of our boxes at work from time to time. Call Direc TV, have them do their diagnostics, and they will probably tell you to swap out the box.

Good luck,

DJ

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. Donovan

Donovan Agent

Thanks guys,

David, I did not know you could call then to do diagnostics. I will try that tonight.

Robert, Yes, when the picture goes out, it happens to all three boxes. However, only one of them experiences the audio droputs. The Multi switch is mounted and is located at the home network switch. From there, the lines go out to each of the rooms. I have also tried to reset the box as well, to no avail. There can't be three simultaneous bad boxes here. Still perplexed.

Donovan

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Since all three boxes are losing signal at the same time, it is either the switch or the LNB. If you had this installed recently, it should be under some kind of warranty.

-Robert

6. Tom Trz

Tom Trz Agent

Upon install of directv I had 2 bad rca boxes....picture would free randomly on blocks of channels and go black...took them back and got 2 new rca boxes same thing...At the time I thought it was LNB or multiswitch in my t23 dish....took dish and rca's back...new set up...same problem....total of 6 boxes...swapped out the rca's for phillip's boxes...bingo..problem solved....don't underestimate bad luck...boy what a pain in the xxx....