What's new

DirecTV PPV - where's the letterbox? (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I don't often watch PPV, but the other night I figured I'd see what was on the DirecTV pay-per-view offerings. I was surprised to not find a single letterbox / OAR movie offered. Not one. You'd think that widescreen DVDs outselling their pan-and-scan counterparts, maybe DirecTV would get the hint.

Or am I missing something here?

-Steve

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. They used to offer letterboxed features on PPV, but the last time I looked at DTV was over a year ago, so things may have changed...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes, it is OAR...most of the time. They also crop 2.35 films like HBOHD does..although I am not sure how often.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I decided to ask DirecTV directly why there's no letterbox PPV movies anymore... here's the response I got...

Dear Steven,

Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide a selection of widescreen (letterbox) movies that meets the demand. However, many of our customers still prefer the "pan and scan" format. Our objective will always be to offer customers a variety of programming selections. Please continue to visit DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Karen
DIRECTV Customer Service
I guess I'm just surprised that they feel that offerin the same movie starting every half-hour on several different channels is a better use of space than perhaps making one of those offerings a letterbox version.

-Steve

Mike Levine

Agent
Real Name
Mike Levine
They haven't offered any letterboxed ppv movies for several months. I complained to customer service and got basicly the same response as Steve. I let them know that I won't be signing up for any pay-per-view movies until they offer widescreen versions again.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Showtime HD shows movies in OAR. Plus I feel the picture quality on Showtime is better. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks