What's new

DirecTV Plus vs DirecTV (Standard) (1 Viewer)

Greetings. Does anyone happen to know what the difference is between the DirecTV Plus receiver's and Non-Plus receiver's? Is is a hardware change, or is strictly a matter of the HU cards vs the H cards? I was a former DirecTV customer and recently purchased a Plus System in order to obtain the Local channels in my area. However, the current Plus receiver I have doesn't have a AC-3 output. I still have my RCA DRD515RB AC-3 (non-plus) receiver from 2 years ago, but I'm not sure if it can receive my local channels or not. DirecTV told me that I'd have to send the H card back to them to obtain a HU Replacement card in order to use this receiver. I'd like to use the receiver if possible, instead of buying their DRD480RE which is the Dolby Version of the new Plus Receivers. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Plus receivers have the ability to seamlessly switch between multiple satellites. The 18x24 elipticle dishes are pointing at two (sometimes three) satellite positions. Based on what channel is selected, the receiver sends a tone to the switch mounted on the back of the dish and picks the correct satellite the channel is on. Your older receiver will only be able to receive channels on from the satellite in the 101 slot. I checked at ww.lyngsat.com and the Pittsburgh locals are on the 119 sat. You will not be able to pick them up with your old receiver.
The card swap is to get you the less hacker friendly HU card.
-Robert

Thanks for the info Robert! I had a feeling it was a hardware issue. Looks like I'll be selling my 515 then. Thanks again.

Joe McCormick

Auditioning
I thought the plus recievers were the recievers that were capable of wink, which is kinda of interactive, its actually pretty cool. I would send in the h card and have directv send you a new one and continue to use your dd reciever theres no reason it shouldn't still work and recieve your local channel package.
Joe

Thanks for the input Joe. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking about taking out the HU card in my 420 Plus receiver and finding out if my old receiver will get the locals. I sent an E-mail to RCA asking them the question as well. I really don't care about WINK. I have it set up on my new receiver, but I'll gladly trade the WINK for DD.

Robert was correct. I found the text below on another website. So I would have to agree with Robert that the unit sends the 22Khz tone to switch to the other Satellite.
22 KHz Switching DIRECTV Plus Compatible
This Satellite system is designed to support all 3 DIRECTV satellites located at 101, 110 and 119 orbital slots. This unit is Local To Local, Para Todos and International Channels compatible **(Requires Optional elliptical antenna and Tri-mode LNBs).

Brian Mello

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, here is my advice to you if you want to upgrade to Dolby Digital DirecTV Plus. Sell your RCA 515 and H card on e-bay either separately or together. Return the non DD Plus system you purchased. Do not send DirecTV the old H card for a replacement card because the new DD Plus receiver you buy will come with an HU card. You might as well sell it for $100+ since you've already bought it!
wink.gif
Now, go find the cheapest price for a RCA 480 Plus receiver. Good Luck!
[Edited last by Brian Mello on August 17, 2001 at 07:44 AM]

Thanks to everyone for their help and input! I have decided to put this receiver/H card upon Ebay if anyone is interested. Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks