DirecTV or The Dish Network??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Mc, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Was wondering from the many dish owners here on the forum, which is the better satellite service, DirecTV or Dish Network?
    I received one of those mass emails with a promo from the Dish Network. Dish Network promo
    Their offer is four receivers installed free with the lowest package costing $36.99 per month.
    So is this satellite service good enough to give it a try? If you do try this service, you most contract it for a year.
    So please help me out... Dish Network or DirecTV???
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you want the Digital Recording option, I would stay away from Dish. Their PVRs have a habit of dumping their recordings at the worst time, like when the wife recorded her favorite show.
    DirecTV has good deals for new subscribers and you get to keep the equipment. You can still get a free DirecTivo from Expert Satellite.
    -Robert

3. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Extremely satisfied Dishnetwork owner/subscriber here. They have great customer service and if you want to order one extra channel for one night, they prorate the price rather than charge you for the whole month. It might become moot though because the talk is that the two companies are going to merge.

4. Tony Mc

They also offer the following receiver. Is this one just as good as the DirecTV Tivo? Also, does it depend on which type of satellite receiver that I use in order to have digital audio quality?

The DishPVR 501 is an integrated satellite TV receiver and Personal Video Recorder that gives you the ability to record and control TV programming in a way you never could before. Easily record your favorite shows so they're on when you want them.

FREE Personal Video Recorder features!

4-component universal UHF / IR Remote Control

Optical Dolby Digital output

Pause, Rewind, Replay Live TV:

Pause any kind of programming, even live sporting events. DishPVR 501 automatically stores the action you miss and lets you pick up where you left off. Miss a good line? Skip back 10 seconds for an instant replay. Instantly skip forward through programming 30 seconds at a time. Plus, fast forward or fast reverse using four different speeds.

Easily record up to 35 hours of Dish Network satellite programming with 100% digital quality; no messy videotapes or complicated timers.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Tony,

Each one of those additional sat boxes are going to cost you 5 bucks a month a piece... just a fyi. I cancelled Dish Network service today...had it for 13 months.

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I'm a HUGE football fan so I went with DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket. What a great programming package...money very well spent!

7. Tony Mc

Hey Chip,

Why did you cancel? Poor reception/service? Did you go over to DirecTV?

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Hey Chip,

Why did you cancel?"

I wanted NFL Sunday Ticket. I traded my High Def 6000 box even up for a DirecTV High def box. I've still got a Dish4900 Dolby Digital b ox for sale in the Hardware for Trade/Sale forum.

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I'll tell ya, even with only one season of NFL ST under my belt, I can't imagine life without it (which is why the offseason is so difficult to deal with). I am a crazed football fan and even I damn near came close to football overload on many a Sunday!

11. Tony Mc

I'm still not sure which service I'd pick. DirecTV seems to have a better recording receiver. But my main concern is that my house is surrounded my 30 foot trees and I'm not sure if a dish will be able to have a clear sight view of the satellite. Never did think of that when I bought this house. That was due to the fact that cable was the only choice I knew much about and it was readily available.

Do all receivers provided by Dish Network and DirecTV have audio capabilities for 5.1 audio for my home theater system?Or does it really depend on the television shows/events that I tune watch?

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Tony,

Dolby Digital boxes are plentiful for Dish & DirecTV.. The content isn't. PPV's have DD broadcasts (not all,a few) Some movies on HBO.. and Dolby Digital doesn't always mean 5.1 either. It can mean 2.0 then matrixed into 5.1 (prologic/PLII).

13. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I can tell you why I chose Dish over DirecTV (aka E* over D* for Echostar and Directv). It may help your decision. RIght now, you don't have to pay $5.00 extra a month for each box as someone said. That was the deal last summer when my friend got Dish from the same reseller I did. I paid a one time $99 upgrade fee to go from the Dish 301 box (Just satellite) to the 501 (PVR and satellite).
    But the decision came down to upfronts. I could not find a reseller, even the big box boys, that would subsidize my DirecTV hardware. It was $300.00+ out of pocket up front. Dish was $150.00, no monthly equipment charges and the first month is included and the first 3 months of Americas Top 150 were included also. My reseller included an on-air antenna and installation, too. I got two rooms and a dual LNB dish, one room with the PVR 501 (which includes Dolby Digital out) and the other with the 301.
    Also, I have no interest in big sports packages, which is something that DirecTV offers and Dish does not.
    We had AT&T Broadband cable. We had poor picture, horrible service universally and 1/2 of the channels that Dish offers. I pay exactly the same per month for everything that Dish offers that I did for cable.
    My wife, the friend that sold me on Dish and the friend that I sold on Dish last week [​IMG] all agree the picture is outstanding compared to cable. We all have a blast with the PVR 501 even though it is a single input (you have to watch what you are recording, except in my case the locals go through a different source so I can watch locals and record Dish channels.)
    From cable, at least our provider here in Jacksonville, it's a huge improvement. I mean, we get TWO Lifetime channels now, as my wife might say.
    The D vs. D argument for me came down to upfronts and sports needs. I don't have HD capability and there are only one or two channels on each service anyway.
    Check out DBSFORUM.COM for more info.

14. Tony Mc

Ivan - Thank you for the valuable info!!! You have a link to DBSFORUM.COM, but it is a site that does not come up. It shows that it is under construction.

Thanks to everyone that responded as well.

So do I go for the Dish Network deal for new subscribers or the DirecTV for the various sports packages? Although I love sports, I'm not shelling out money for a season of games. Doesn't the various FOX Sports channels on these satellite services offer the same thing? It's just that if there is a blackout for that team, it won't be broadcast. I can deal with that... I think.

15. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I've been a Dish subscriber for about 4 years now. Overall, I've been very satisfied. I now have the PVR501 box, and I really enjoy being able to record and watch programs without the hassle of videotapes. Yes, it's had an occasional glitch, and this is the second unit I've had (my first one died a very early death), but overall I'm very satisfied with it. Not having to pay an extra fee for the PVR services is also nice.

Overall, other than the sports packages on Direct, I think you'll find similar programming on both systems. It seems that Dish adds channels quicker than Direct, as I've seen DirecTV boast about "new" channels months after they're added on Dish.

As mentioned above, the two companies may ultimately be merging, so it may wind up making no difference which one you choose.

Steve K.

16. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Tony,

I've been a DirecTV subscriber for several years, being the early adopter type (I had to pay full price for my hardware!). I've thought about switching as I got HD capability. Then Mark Cuban came along, and I became hopeful that Direct's commitment to HD would catch up to E*'s.

The thing that keeps me with Direct is the sports. I'm addicted to the NFL Sunday Ticket! I also get the ESPN Gameplan (college football), but don't get as much out of it. If you don't want to pay for any of those plans, don't get it for the sports. You will not get the games on the Fox Sports regionals... they will be blacked out for you.

As has been pointed out, I think the whole argument will be moot in a few months.

Tony

17. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

Tony, for the website it's dbsforumS.com (note the 's'). Lots of info there, and if you go to the PVR forum you'll quickly notice that a LOT of folks have become very disenchanted with Dish's PVR offerings (the 501 and esp. the older Dishplayer). I'm in the same boat; 2 Dishplayers that don't reliably work (I'd estimate a 10-20% failure rate in recording shows in the last 6 months). The 501 is supposedly better but not problem free. Folks who switch to DirecTV and DirecTIVO units are grinning from ear to ear, gloating about it, etc.

Frankly, I plan to join them as soon as I can verify good line of sight to the appropriate D* birds. I have the same tree problem as you, with just enough of a dip in the line (where my driveway comes in!) to see the E* birds.

18. Tony Mc

Thanks much Paul for the dbsforumS.com website address.

My tree situation really has me irritated. I may have to cut down or chop off 20 feet of some trees in order to get the correct line-of-sight to the satellites.

So far, I've heard good and some bad things about both dish services. My mind is spinning at this time.

Also, am I able to record from the Tivo or the PVR receivers to my VHS recorder?

19. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

20. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Paul, thanks for fixing my link. Sorry bout that, Tony.

My PVR 501 is kinda flaky but I am about 3/4 of the way to calling for a warranty replacement. It sometimes blacks out video and sound for no reason. I still get the program guide, so I know it's not rebooting. It has happened 4 times.

Now, my friend with the 501 said that if heavy thunderstorms knock out signal there is no static then worse static then snow, it just accomodates the lowered bandwidth by killing features like DD (I have seen this and beleive this to be true) and eventually, if the cloud tops are high enough, black screen with program guide.

One of the 5 times was during a heavy storm.

I've got my Stargate programmed to record this evening in DD and am excited about it. I hope the 501 doesn't bug out on me as many have said it does.