DirecTV or Dish Network?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Which gives the best bang for the buck? What are the pros and cons of each service?

Also, any outstanding deals out there at the moment?

Moving into a house in a week and cable is just too bloody expensive.

I will have tvs in two rooms. Thanks!

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Check each service's web site and compare programming. Is there a channel or sports package you can't live without? The programming is close with Dish (E*) having a few more movie channels and DirecTV (D*) having more sports including the NFL ticket. If you are thinking about HD, then E* has Discovery HD and a full time demo channel while D* has HD-Net.
    E*'s hardware is made in house and the interfaces are kind of plain. D* makes their hardware also under the Hughes name (their parent company) and some third party manufacturers. Both have PVR's, which are great. E*'s model 508 is a single tuner digital recorder and the 721 is a dual tuner digital recorder. D*'s PVR powered by Tivo is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased. I could never go back to regular TV again.
    Both companies have deals all of the time. Check their web sites. There is a pre-order for the new Series II DirecTivo for $199, $189 or $139 depending on Circuit City price match. People are getting the regular dish for $0.01 and cheap or free installation. Check out Tivo Community in the DirecTV section for all of the details.
    Since you want two receivers, both companies will charge a $5 mirror fee for the second receiver.
    -Robert

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thanks Robert. I should add that I probably won't be watching a whole lot of movies because I use Netflix. And my favourate sports are tennis, golf, track & field.

What's does PVR stand for?

Anyone else care to add their experience with either product? Thanks.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

PVR - generic term for a Personal Video Recorder. It's like a hard-drive based VCR.
    Dish has the PVR, Direct has the DirectTivo units.
    You wont believe how wonderful these units are.
    In both these units, the digital feed is written to a hard drive before you see it. This means you can pause live TV, then pick up where you left off after a few minutes. You can rewind to catch dialog, do your own replay, etc. In some cases you can be in the middle of a show, decide you want to keep this for later/your spouse so you re-wind and hit RECORD. It saves the show for weeks/months.
    You will actually HATE to watch live/cable TV after you take control with one of these units. No longer must you wait for a commercial to run to the bathroom, get a snack, be mad when someone calls in the middle, make a spouse/kid wait for a commercial, etc.
    These units usually have a "search" feature so you can look ahead 1-2 weeks for shows, see plots, mark things for recording, etc.
    I canceled my TV Guide subscription and my VCR has not been used in months. Of all my HT toys, the PVR is the only one I have ever heard my wife brag about to friends.
    (Can you tell I'm a fan? [​IMG])
    There is also a fourm dedicated to sat systems that is very informative: DBSForum
    Go to the Discussion fourms and you will find separate sections for PVR's, HDTV via Sat, etc. Highly Recommended.