DirecTV New System Help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Weight, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

Nov 2, 2001
    I’m looking for a two room DirecTV system and need some help. The requirements I’m looking for are the Para Todos (spelled?) dish so I can receive channels that aren’t available with the standard dish. I will not be using it for HD at this time. I would also like one Dolby Digital receiver for my home theater room, and one standard receiver for my bedroom. I don’t have any interest in Tivo.

Since I am new to satellite, I need help in choosing the correct equipment (receivers) and dealer. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
  2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

May 19, 2002
    Do you speak Spanish? That is the real reason for that dish—so that you can get channels in Español.

Otherwise, get the newer three-line elliptical dish. This picks up all three DirectTV satellites (I am pretty sure that it gets the Spanish channels as well). This way you will be ready for HD in the future.

I began with two RCA receivers (just as in your outline). The one with the digital audio output never worked properly, dropping out a lot, so I took it back and got a HD receiver (for the digital audio and I was getting a new set). My remaining SD receiver continues to have problems, so you might want to think about alternatives.

I don’t know much about the SD receivers that are available now. I’d repeat the problems with my RCA receivers.

On the other hand, they are so cheap right now, that so long as you are willing to exchange, you will probably be ok.
  3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Aug 22, 2000
    I just checked the Blockbuster site and they are still offering DirecTV for real cheap. When you sign up, request the Para Tados package and you will get the dish. You don't actually have to sign up for the programming though. Since they only give you basic receivers in this deal, just sign up for the 1 room deal and buy a second receiver with DD after everything is installed.