DIrectv Hum and Grounding Question/Problem...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by chris_steltz, Nov 8, 2004.

1. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

So I had DTV installed this past weekend and in my home theater I am getting a low hum when my Directv DVR is hooked up to my Yamaha reciever. I have hooked it up in various other inputs including directly to the TV and i still get a hum through my speakers. Is this a grounding issue with the Satellite dish? I noticed the guy ground the dish to the base that the dish mounts too. Any help would be appreciated.

2. John S

John S Producer

Audio or video hooked up? (Many AVR's allow you to switch video through them)

If it is just Audio, try optical. I have had this fix this sort of issue.

Ground loops are tough, sometimes just lifting a ground can solve it. There are AC line devices out there that will help with it as well.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

If you get frustrated you can also have the installer come back. You should get what you pay for and a bad install shouldn't be your problem. I would try to rule out as many other causes as you can before calling them though.

4. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

It is just when I hook up the video. I called the installer back just becasue I dont want to deal with it but im trying to figure out 100% what it is so he knows what to fix. Can thos dish's be grounded to themselves like he did?

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

The coax that comes down from the dish should have a grounding wire with it. That ground wire should go to the same ground that the house electrical panel uses. A cold water pipe will do the trick as long as it's copper and not PVC plastic.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not a good idea, really. It’s best – and safest – to find and solve the ground loop problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. John S

John S Producer

Very true Wayne....

But sometimes they can be such a bare to figure out. Lifting a ground starts to look extremely plausable. lol

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

There should be an outside wall mount for the DTV cable. It will end in an 'F' connecter and a new wire will go into the house. There should also be a screw there that isn't doing anything. Run a wire between that and the house ground, and see if the hum goes away.

Since we are all guessing that is it, call them back and have them fix it!

Glenn

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not sure, but wouldn't unhooking the coax from the back of the directv receiver verify if that's the cause of the ground loop hum?

since that would take the problematic coax out of the equation?

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes, that would tell you if the coax is the problem - i.e., not grounded in the right place.

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, but you would have to be positive that the DTV unit's output sockets, the interconnects and whatever it connects to are working properly.

It would totally suck if the installer came back out and did that, only to find that there was something else in the equation.

Glenn

12. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

Ok i have tried pretty mcuh everything just to double check. THe tivo hooke dup without the lines going in equals no hum, as soon as i hook up the DTV line to it i start getting hum. I looked outside tonight to see where the guy ran the ground...well low and behold it does not look like he even grounded it. It is attached to the dish mount but then the wire goes inside the house with the coax wire and doesnt attactch to anything. Im not gonna even bother fixing it just to point out what a dumbass the guy was. UNBELIEVABLE

13. John S

John S Producer

So your saying there is "NO" ground on the dish at all?

That has some potential dangerous life threatening consequences. Get it fixed ASAP.

It is one thing to pull a ground on a piece of equipment, quite another to have an exposed outdoor antenna not fully grounded. That annoying hum, may have just saved some lives!

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ya know...i don't know if my dish is grounded either, but i really don't think so. i just see the three coax cables running into my house.

what exactly is the danger? lighting strikes the dish, then travels into the house via the coax?

15. John S

John S Producer

Yep.. There is a reason they ground outside antennea.

Not to say some still doesn't get through, but when properly grounded the bulk of the charge is directed into the earth.

Sat dishes probably do not have as big of an exposure to it. But there is no way, I'd have one without a true earth ground on it myself.

16. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

99% of the lightning damage I deal with while working on sat systems are all grounded, lightning comes from the ground not air per se, but if there is a fake ground you can have issues. There is an item before some code authorities regarding the grounding of sat systems, every tech I have talked to that does repair work says the same thing (I do ground the systems when I install them as it is required by code)

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve installed a few for friends and family, and I grounded both the coaxial line and the antenna itself. However, since then I’ve seen conflicting information on whether or not the actual dish should be grounded. Some say it just makes it more prone to having a lightning strike.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. John S

John S Producer

So when you say you grounded the dish? You mean with a local to the dish grounding stake? (or whatever they call that long thing pounded into the earth) I have yet to install one, but I think my time is comming very soon for / with a friend....

So the argument against, is that unless grounded, the dish rarely would get a strike on it?

I have never seen a dish hit, but man have I seen plenty of antenna hit, and it's ugly even with a proper earth ground.

I just can't imagine what it would be like without the earth ground.

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i checked and my dish is definitely *not* grounded. i suppose if it was an issue they would make it a requirement. i'm gonna check out all my friends who have a dish and see if any of them are grounded - which i doubt.

heck, i never even thought about it until john brought it up! [​IMG] [​IMG]

side question. i have one of them big ass monster power bars with the coax input. if i run my coax into that first, is there any additional level of protection? (of course i have a dual tuner tivo - so two lines running into my living room, but i'll think about that later...)

20. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

both dishnetwork, and directv require the dish and cable to be grounded, as do most local building codes