DirecTV - how do they install it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Rock, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I'm going to be moving into a new house this weekend, and I'll be getting DirecTV installed. I'll be getting at least one HD-DVR.

Before I give this the green light, I want to be sure that the installer knows how to utilize the On-Q Distribution Center that I had installed with the house. It's basically a box in my basement where all the telephone and RG-6 coax cables originate from. The 5x8 Multiswitch that I'll need can be installed there, and the signal can be sent to each room from there.

Any DirecTV customers out there have On-Q, or any such system? Anyone care to comment on their Installation experience?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If it's like any other distribution system I've seen, it's not compatible with the DirecTV signal. You can use it to carry the RF output from your receivers to other rooms of the house.

The installer will run a cable from dish to each receiver. For the DVR's, they will run two. If you need more than four runs, they will install a 5x8 switch at a convenient location for THEM to access. If they can re-use some of your existing wiring, then they will because it saves them time. If you start demanding they do wall-fishing for all new drops, be prepared to pay $75-$90 for each run of cable. Wall drops aren't covered in the standard install.

-Robert

3. Chris Rock

First off, what I'm referring to is described HERE . I'm not talking about RF video distribution. I presently have the "OnQ base solution".

I guess my best bet is to locate on OnQ dealer and have them do the installation.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    That sounds like a system designed to connect a $45 5x8 cascadable switch to a bunch of dual runs of coax. There's nothing special about it. Your intstaller will probably like it as it will make his job easier.

Did you run extra coax from your dish location to the wiring closet in anticipation of the new dish required for locals in HD?

-Robert

5. Chris Rock

I haven't done anything yet. I won't even be ready to have anything done for a month. I'm just getting ready.

After a visit to Soundtrack (a large HT retailer/custom install place out here, also called Ultimate Electronics) last evening, I've learned a lot and have decided that I'm going to purchase my DirecTV stuff there and have them install it. They do the installs themselves, and are authorized On-Q dealers.

About the new dish requirements, I'll keep that in mind. I don't know how long before my market will get the new stuff.

Thanks for the info.