What's new

DirecTV HDTV Tuners (1 Viewer)

Mark*L

Auditioning
I have a mitisubishi 55" HDTV intergraded TV with no DVI connections but i do have firewire and component. Does anyone have DirecTV HDTV that would recommned one tuner over the other?

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have been researching this recently also. Many people have recommended Sony HD200 and Zenith HD-SAT520. From what I understand, they both use the same internal components but have minor differences with such things as output connections. But, I know they both have component out for sure. I have read somewhere recently that a new Sony is coming out soon, HD300 I believe. Not sure what improvements it will have. I'm sure others will chime in also.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Sony and Zenith Heath mentionned are the best at local ota digital reception, and have the best upconversion of 480i material to Hi-Def formats. They both have DVI, no firewire, and do have component video output.

If at all possible avoid any of the Hughes mfg. boxes (Hughes E-86, Toshiba DST-3000, Mits HD-5)--they run too hot and local ota reception is poor to nonexistent.

Try looking around a bit in the "HD Hardware" section over at AVS forum.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends what you want to "pay to play". I have a Hughes E-86 that I bought new for less than $300 and I get great DirecTV Hi def and OTA reception (the antenna is the most important factor in this regard). Since my TV does not have DVI either, it serves my purposes for now. I'll upgrade when the whole connection scenario - DVI, Firewire, Copy Protection, etc. - clears up...

It also does not seem to run "hot"...

Tom Jakes

Auditioning
Mark*L

I think we may have the same TV's. Do you have an Antenna Hooked up for local channels? If so would you recommend it? I'm using a new Radioshack antenna in my Attic and am having trouble with the reception.

Tom

Thira

Agent
Hi:
I am using the Samsung SIR-TS160 HDTV Multi-Platform DIRECTV Receiver. Satellite HDTV, Cable TV, and terrestial HDTV all are hooked to my unit. I am very satisfied, & the unit was $200 less than the Sony or Zenith.

Mark*L

Auditioning
Tom

I do have an antenna hooked up to receive over the air broadcasts. I have an rca indoor/outdoor antenna that is mounted in the attic. It works fine and I am able to pull in HDTV when broadcast, and SDTV when not broadcast. I would recommend a good antenna. One thing with digital broadcasts is that you either get it or you dont. I live in a suburb of Dallas and get really good reception. It might be that you live too far away to receive the signals.

William D Cavender

Stunt Coordinator
Having read many reviews on the new Sony, Zenith, and Samsung I am staying away from them all. I am look in to the new Toshiba DST 3100, which short of reading a creadable review, may be the best. I currently have the Toshiba DST 3000, its problem is that the OTA analog tuner went south. Am looking for mor info as I can buy one in a store for $600. out the door.
About Firewire, don't look for it on a Direct reciever, DVI is the only one of the two that Direct has authorized..

Mark*L

Auditioning
I would like to say that I live near Dallas and receive ABC, NBC, PBS, UPN, WB, CBS all in high-def when broadcast but im still not sure about making the just because i would only get a few more channels

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mark, it pretty much depends on what you watch on TV. Since you are already getting the OTA stations (it is nice to live in a place where all the networks have a digital telecast :)) DirecTV will only give you HBO HD& Showtime HD if you pay the fee and Discovery, HDNet, a movie channel and ESPN HD for an additional fee. Right now ESPN is not telecasting that much in HD (though they do have a Sunday NFL telecast).

Basically worth it if you watch the premium movie channels—otherwise not—at least until ESPN HD begins to actually telecast a bit more in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks