DirecTV HDTV receivers - only work with access card for OTA?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Christian Behrens, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I was at the local BestBuy yesterday and they have two open box items of the Samsung SIR-T 160 for little money (just the device, no remote or anything). This would be great for testing my HDTV OTA reception where I live, or so I thought. They tell me that I can only buy them when I get into a contract with DirecTV to switch them live within 30 days or so.

They said they wouldn't work without the access card, not even for OTA. Is that correct? Or is it really just because they are subsidised and aren't allowed to sell them without contract?

Thanks,

-Christian

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

they will flash an error that there is no card when it's removed, I know the dtc 100 wouldn't let us do anything without the card, but it didn't have to be activated to get ota it just had to be inserted, I wouldn't recommend buying a used sat receiver, you'll spend enough to get an access card to pay for a new unit (if the card and remote are gone the thing was returned)

3. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

WRONG... to a point.
    All D* HD receivers will work just fine without a card for ota. "Every Direct TV HD stb made"
    You need to go into the setup and tell it NO SAT, or NO DISH, or LOCAL TUNING.
    This covers nearly all brands and models as for the setup menu.
    Nonetheless, all these receivers will work just fine without a card for OTA without any error flash after proper setup for use without sat service.
    Now, you could purchase, agree to the service and then return prior to the end of the 30 days without the need of further contract.
    Or just buy used or find a ota only stb.

This includes the RCA DTC-100, I have had four of them.

4. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Thanks for the info. I thought about just returning the unit within 30 days, but fear that if the reception is good, I might not want to give it up [​IMG].

We already have D*, so what I really want is the HDTivo, but they are just a little pricey right now, if you can actually find them (still haven't seen on in person).

-Christian