Directv HDTV receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike~Sileck, May 10, 2004.

1. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

Dunno if this belongs here, but I'm looking for the top of the line DirectV reciever with HDTV built in. Thanks!

Mike

(btw, price is no biggy unless u rise above 2 k)

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

One of the boxes mfg by LG electronics would probably be your best choice. They have the best ota HD reception, the best aspect ratio controls for non-HD channels, and the best and most versatile scanrate conversion options.

These are marketed under the Sony HD-300, Hughes HTL-HD, and LG names. The Sony and LG models have more bells and whistles than the Hughes branded boxes.

You can get the Hughes branded box along with oval dish and installation for $399 from DirecTV, or buy one of the others at retail at CC or BB.

DirecTV is going to standardize all their boxes as of about now, so if you want anything other than a Hughes branded box this is the time to buy.

3. Mike~Sileck

Well Im buying it within 2 weeks, and Im thinking about the sony. Thanks for the ideas! (oh btw I have everything set up already for the dish and what not, just needed the receiver, but thanks!)

Mike

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,

You say you're already set up--if that means you're already a DirecTV customer you can probably get a receiver upgrade from them for $99. Check out the thread under HDTV Hardware over at AVS forum. You need to have been a customer for a couple of years or more and sorta threaten to drop D* so they'll transfer you to customer retention, but lots of people have gotten this upgrade. The receiver they'll send is the HTL-HD.

That being said, since D* is standardizing their receivers, the non-Hughes branded ones should come down in price at CC and other local stores. If you can't find an LG built model, Samsung is also well regarded. AVOID the Hughes E-86 or Toshiba DST-3000, they are very poor at local ota reception and overheat without an auxiliary computer fan attached.

5. Mike~Sileck

Well, I meant that I have a D* account, just this new receiver is for a new room, so there is no current receiver. Thanks for the idea tho. One thing I'm looking into is the DTV HR10-250. It's HDTV plus Tivo apparently. Does anyone know anything about this receiver? Thanks for all of the ideas!

Mike

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It's been discussed a little in the PVR section here. The most info can be found at the Tivo Community where it has it's own section. Your biggest problem will actually be buying one. Most stores have a very long waiting list.

-Robert

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,

The DTV HR10-250 has 2 DirecTV tuners and 2 over-the-air atsc tuners and is capable of recording 2 shows in HD while you watch a 3rd. It will not tune analog ntsc local ota signals. It can record 30 hours of HD material. It records the digital bitstream directly off the satellite or your ota antenna so there is no difference in pq between live tv and a recording.

List price is $999 and there are no discounts as yet. Lots of info on it on the HDTV-Recording Devices forum at AVS Forums. It's in very short supply right now, but should become more available in a month or two. Given the fact that the really good shows in HD may very well be scheduled for a time when you can't watch them live, being able to time shift them with no loss of picture quality is a huge advantage.

If I didn't already have so much invested in my current stb, I'd definitely have one of these on order. As is I'm gonna wait a few months or a year and see if prices drop.