DirecTv HDTV receiver question...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Amato, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Matt Amato

Matt Amato Stunt Coordinator

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm about to take the plunge into HD. DirecTV seems to have a pretty good $300 deal on thier site regarding HDTV for new customers (which I will be). However, I was wondering two things:
    1) Is this the current preferred way to get HDTV over DirectTV (ordering direct from thier package) or is there a better route to go that the HTF prefer?
    2) What model receiver does DirecTv supply you if you go this route? I looked around thier site but couldn't find anything.
  2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    Can't comment on #1, other than to say that the Sunday papers always have new customer D*TV deals. I don't think they normally apply to the HD boxes, though.

As for #2, the last I looked, they were sending out a Hughes box, or a Sammy (360 IIRC). You don't get to choose.

The 360 seems to be pretty buggy, based on threads over at AVS, but I have no personal experience with it. And I don't know about the Hughes.

I am an existing customer, and got a Sammy 160 HD box for $99 earlier this year. Its had a few quirks too.

For that matter, I don't know that there is a HD D*TV box that does not have some sort of bug.