DIRECTV HDTV programming

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Burklund, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

I've had DirecTV for years. I have a HDTV now and I'm wanting to buy a HD receiver.
    Just wondering if anyone here subscribes to DirecTV and has the HD channels. I know there isnt very many available right now, but hows the picture quality?
    And what about locals? Are the local (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) stations that DTV offers in HD too?

2. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

I have Directv and the hdtv selection is nice, but not near as fulfilling as i wish. ESPN is there, all the movie channels, theres a ppv High Def channel. As well as the HDNET and Discovery HD (plus some adult HD programming).

For local stations, all they have is CBS. Thats all. So .. no ABC, no NBC, no Fox. Also, there is no TNT (which annoyed me during NBA playoffs). Hopefully they pick up some new channels soon, because I hate missing sports action (like the NBA Finals .. grrrrr)

Mike

3. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

DirecTV just added BravoHD, and they also sometimes show special programming (TNT has been on, and the NBCHD Olympic feed was just shown).

From their website:
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.dsp

The DIRECTV HD Package includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater™, HDNet, HDNet Movies and Bravo HD+ — all for $10.99 monthly.

HBO® HDTV or SHOWTIME® HD are included with a subscription to either regular service.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET in HD offers over 100 games, subscription required.

DIRECTV HD CHANNEL LINE-UP:

70 HBO
    71 SHOWTIME
    73 ESPN
    74 BRAVO
    76 DISCOVERY
    78 HDNET MOVIES
    79 HDNET
    80 CBS EAST COAST FEED*
    81 CBS WEST COAST FEED*
    99 PPV MOVIES / ADULT
    702-719 NFL SUNDAY TICKET

*available in selected markets

4. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

I didn't realize CBS was included in the HD package. Anyone know what select markets CBS is available? Perhaps, Baltimore? [​IMG]

5. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

The CBS HD feed is included if you live in an area where your local affiliate is an O & O (is owned and operated by the CBS network)

6. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Armando,

Not in Baltimore because we overlap with the DC market and DC will not grant a waiver for Baltimore.

However, you can use an antenna to get any of your locals with DirecTV.

7. Burklund

that sucks !! I thought they offered ABC, NBC, and FOX in HD.

Is Dish Network any better ?
    How is their prices compared to DirecTV?

8. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

Dish is pretty much the same except they have TNT-HD but don't have Bravo.

9. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

You can always add an antenna for OTA reception of the local stations. I actually hope that DirecTV doesn't add local HD channels. I would prefer that they add HD content that is not available elsewhere.

BravoHD has been a great addition. This week you can watch the US Open simulcast in HD (from the main venue) while the standard feed plays on USA.

10. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Fox and NBC are coming soon to DirecTV but only in markets where FOX or NBC own or operate the local affilate.

11. Burklund

how do we find out if they own/operate the local affiliate...so that we will know if we will be able to receive it?
    I need the Richmond VA locals in HD.

12. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Thanks Todd. I figured it out later after I posted. Tuned to channel 80 on DirecTV to check for the CBS-HD feed, but no go.

I've been procrastinating and experimenting on-and-off with pulling in the HD signals OTA from the local stations for over a year. I finally got off my arse and got an antenna up to pull in the OTA locals. Long story short, in a span of 3 days since this past Wednesday, I went through 2 indoor and 2 outdoor antennaes, before settling for a set-up.

The antennaes that I tried include:
    the Silver Sensor (indoor);
    an amplified antenna from Radio Shack (indoor);
    an amplified multidirectional antenna from Radio Shack (outdoor); and
    a similar multidirectional antenna, the ChannelMaster STEALTHtenna (outdoor).

I was ready to order the ChannelMaster 4221, which is a 4-bay, 16-element UHF antenna, but happened to find a knock-off version at my local mom & pop hardware store. Put that thing up along with a rotator, and BAM...I get strong signals from both Baltimore and Washington, DC local stations in HD.

Man, do I have alot of returns to make at Lowes and Radio Shack. :b

13. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

What really sucks, is if you are in those markets that are not Owned and Operated by Fox, CBS, or NBC, and you can't recieve a digital signal via antenna due to topography etc. You are screwed. The local stations are unlikely to grant a waiver, so you are out of luck.